• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Too old to "HUCK"?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just putting the quandary out there.

I was at the field a week and a half ago just doing my thing...as usual. For the most part, the guys out there are pretty awesome. They usually come up to my son @Shayne Epley and I and actually thank us for giving them a really cool show. (Not that we're super amazing or anything) We just like to have fun and so many of the older gents, (younger too) enjoy watching us do our "thing" while flying. However there was this one fellow that I overheard while I was tossing the PAU around like a rag dolly. He said, "He's too old to be flying like that"! Well, I just blew it off and I didn't let it bother me. (I usually do that-don't let comments bother me) I had to figure that maybe he was just upset cuz he didn't get his Wheaties that morning. Or maybe, his glow plane wouldn't start. Dunno... At any rate, I got to thinking...."Is there really an age at which we should stop "Hucking" or flying 3D aerobatics? Look at all the younger crowds that are coming into this hobby. Holy moly, I wish I could fly half as good as they do. But seriously, its all about having fun right? 3D aerobatics are just fun for me. I've done the circle burning in the sky with my glow, (shudder) planes. This...this I really enjoy. Personally, if I am able to...I will be "beating" my planes up well into the next 20 years.....

So what do you all think? Should there be an age limit on acting so damn irresponsible with an r/c airplane while flying it? (I think that is what some people must think) Is there an age that a person is "Too old to Huck"? Is there an age at which time, You really are, too old to be flying like that?

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I am 63 and fly 3D almost all the time. I am not Joe Smith either but I have fun with it. Not sure of this guys intention but I will tell you that my eyesight is not what it used to be and I find it a lot harder with some orientations. I am sure my reflexes are not the same either. With that said I am not as comfortable as I used to be so I can see a little what he is saying. I say fly on the edge regardless (but your Edge)

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm cruising up on 42 and I'd like to think I get better every year. However it feels good to be old enough to realize that my only competition is myself, nothing to prove.

I firmly believe there are only two things that keep you from doing anything in life:
1 - Physical deteriation
2 - Determination to do something

Fly low, fly safe.....:peace-out:

Geesh - comments like that are just plain silly, and I think there typically is something else behind it. It sounds to me like you're probably doing a great job in the air and having fun at it, and they probably don't know how to, or refuse to, say something nice... :)

Having fun with our planes and being irresponsible is 2 different things...

Life is too short - do what makes you happy for as long as we still can.

sc

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Geesh - comments like that are just plain silly, and I think there typically is something else behind it. It sounds to me like you're probably doing a great job in the air and having fun at it, and they probably don't know how to, or refuse to, say something nice... :)

Having fun with our planes and being irresponsible is 2 different things...

Life is too short - do what makes you happy for as long as we still can.

sc
Yeah buddy. Or ummm.....jealous???:laughing: