• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

TransAmerica Tour 2014

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
TransAmerica Tour 2014 – Showcasing Model Aviation and Helping Our American Heroes

3DRC Forum Members,

We are not afraid to admit that we love the sport of model aviation. Nor are we afraid to admit we love our country and we certainly aren't afraid to fight for our freedom because we know the freedoms that we enjoy are not free and come at a price. A very high price. That is why we have decided to showcase our sport to America and to help the Wounded Warriors Project empower those American heroes that pay the price for our freedom every day of their lives.

Our plan is to fly two airplanes across the USA. One gas powered plane and one electric powered plane. The gas powered plane starting in California will fly west to east and the electric powered plane will start in Georgia at SEFF and fly west. We want to involve as many AMA clubs as possible along both routes as they travel across the USA. Our plan is to involve the local media to showcase model aviation and to help raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project (WWP). The fundraising goal for this event will be $10,000 to the WWP.

The gas powered called "American Spirit" will take off from the Muroc Model Masters (MMM) field at Edwards AFB California in April of 2014 and begin its journey east to the Riverside Aeromodelers Society (RAMS) in North Carolina. The electric powered plane called "American Pulse" will begin its journey from Southeast Electric Flight Festival (SEFF) in Georgia next April and fly to the Southern Minnesota Model Aircraft Club (SMMAC) in Minnesota. Both will fly along a predetermined route to the next club that has volunteered to take part. The planes will land, be refueled or batteries changed out, and the next team consisting of a driver, spotter, and pilot will take over. The team that takes over will be from the next club on the route. This way they are familiar with its location and the peculiars about landing at that field. We would not want pilots to be landing at unfamiliar fields. And if they have to land sooner than expected, they know the area and its alternate landing locations. This will repeat all across the USA. We hope that the clubs along the route will contact their local media outlets and explain the TransAmerica Tour 2014 to them. Teams will be provided talking points about the AMA, model aviation and the Wounded Warriors Project and how they can donate to help our American heroes in their daily lives.

Airplanes, engines, radios, electronics, cars and all support equipment is hoped to be provided by potential sponsors of TransAmerica Tour 2014. We are also working with a television production company to film this tour and a number of model aviation events in 2014 to help showcase model aviation and bring it to prime time television.

To volunteer to assist in this effort contact me. Please provide the name and zip code of your club and a Point of Contact (POC) with an email address and phone number. I will also need to know what model your club would like to fly; the gas or electric powered one. As the event is finalized, he will be in touch to get the pilot's name, the spotter's name and the driver's name.

Links

Wounded Warriors Project:

Our route map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?gmp=msp&mid=zuDNctj04nLA.kuXQvjLfKZUE

Thanks,

Frank

PS I even started a Facebook page for those that hang out there: https://www.facebook.com/TransAmericaTour2014?hc_location=stream

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Frank, sounds like a great segue from Wings Across America!!! Bummer on the southerly route -- sounds like Chicago won't be able to be involved. Still, a great project! Let us know how 3DRCForums can help, and let us put a sticker on that bird?

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Thanks guys! I can't promise anything right now, but if you want to join up, just PM me the name of your club, the pilot's name, the spotter's name and the driver's name. I will also need one of them to be the POC and I'll need a phone number and email address for the POC.

Thanks,

Frank

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
I am also going to need someone with some FPV skills. I'd like to set our plane up with downlink video. I think it will be awesome to be able to record videos from the air along our journey

Frank

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Gary,

Would it be possible to post a link to this thread on the front page for a little while during the time we are looking for volunteers?

Thanks,

Frank