• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

We're not the ONLY ones who throw props!!!

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Here's a neat video (of dubious quality) of an old friend Kirk Wicker, flying his Cap-21 at the College Park, MD airshow back in the day. One thing you'll notice is how under-powered this plane is, even though it was a world caliber level aerobatic mount back then (I think this was in the '90's). Kirk does a great job wringing it out, and College Park doesn't have any open space around it, so you have to keep the show pretty tight. I flew the show several times in the '80's in my Pitts.

Anyway....back to the incident. The drilled prop flanges on Lycoming aerobatic engines were known for cracking, due to the tremendous gyroscopic forces during aerobatics. This was especially so when using the heavier Hartzell constant-speed props. So....it finally had enough during a flat spin and BINGO!....instant (and poor) glider :eek:.

Kirk then does a superb job of dumping the nose, and quickly setting up for a beautiful deadstick (and way aft CG) landing...even rolling out on the taxiway:fist_pump:.

That's a cool video Earle. thanks for posting.

You need to share your wrench in the elevator story one day. I don't think reading it online will be the same as hearing you tell it in person, but none the less, I got a lot of respect for all of you full scale IAC competitors and airshow pilots after hearing you tell the story.