• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What is a safe temperature?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I loaded up this evening for this weekends festivities and then realized, crap I hope it's not too cold in the trailer for my Li-Ion's. Although our day time temps are averaging 60 to 70 degrees, our over night temps are still dropping to the mid to upper 30's and into the mid 40's. What is everyone's experience with storing your planes overnight in your trailer? On fully charged Li-Ion's, is it ok to store them overnight in temperatures as I mentioned? It is recommended to store a Li-Ion at 40 percent charge in the refrigerator if they are not going to be used for awhile. But what about fully charged overnight? What's everyone's experience?

LiOns are fine fully charged over nite. Even the lower C LiPo Rx packs are fine over nite. I charged up a pair of TDRC 3300 Rx packs in my Corvus for this weekend. Internal resistance of the packs, even in parallel showed 2.3 milliohms each cell.

I keep my planes in the trailer all winter, and it got down to 0 F. a few times this year. I do take all my transmitters into the house though. Batteries are fine in the trailer, just make sure they are warmed up before flying.