• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What really gives a plane that "locked in" feel??

wade

50cc
Is it mainly in the size of the plane? Or is it in the servos? CG? etc.

I notice that my 3DHS 72" extra just kind of wonders around the air. It's kind of a struggle just to keep it tracking straight. I do fly with my planes just a tad nose heavy for right now because I am getting back to flying 3D after a short hiatus. When inverted, it will take just a slight bit of elevator to keep it level. I've always flown my planes like this and for all I know, it may be a big cause of it.

I am running cheap servos, Power HD 8309TG's. I thought this may be a contributing factor. They do seem to center well, but that's on the ground and it may be a completely different story in the air.

Any setup tips to help get a plane tracking straighter and seem more stable in the air?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Is it mainly in the size of the plane? Or is it in the servos? CG? etc.

I notice that my 3DHS 72" extra just kind of wonders around the air. It's kind of a struggle just to keep it tracking straight. I do fly with my planes just a tad nose heavy for right now because I am getting back to flying 3D after a short hiatus. When inverted, it will take just a slight bit of elevator to keep it level. I've always flown my planes like this and for all I know, it may be a big cause of it.

I am running cheap servos, Power HD 8309TG's. I thought this may be a contributing factor. They do seem to center well, but that's on the ground and it may be a completely different story in the air.

Any setup tips to help get a plane tracking straighter and seem more stable in the air?

Moving the CG a little more forward might help some, but the 72" extra doesn't have long tail moment compared to some other extras I've flown, and the usually the longer the tail, the more stable.

Other things are servos that have a low dead band, as the servos will work really hard to stay centered in flight.

Finally, yes, I think the bigger the more stable.