• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Which airplane for my next step to aerobatics?

Papa Echo

New to GSN!
Hi,
Until now I am flying trainers only (glow and electric). Now I want to buy my next RC model. It should be a 3D plane, with electric motor, and a maximum wing span of 75" (or 25%), because this is the biggest thing that I can get into my car (2008 Honda CR-V).

I like the Extra 330. So I want a mid wing plane.

Until now I found the Aerobeez 71" 25% Extra 330 30cc and the Pilot RC 24% Extra 330SC.

Can you recommend other models like this? It could also be an Edge 540, Slick or Sbach, etc.
I want to order it in an US online store.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Slick for sure! I have a Pilot extra 260, had an Extreme Flight 300 but I would prefer a slick! Aerobeez has a good slick, RedwingRc has a nice one as well. I have not flown either one but I'm sure [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] has.

Have you flown any 3d foamies like the twisted hobbies crack series? That might be your best place to start.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Actually I would take the aerobeez extra over their slick. I have the slick and it is ok, but it doesn't even belong in the same conversation with the AJ Slicks. Totally different characteristics with AJ'S version being far superior. I have heard very good things about their extras though. I think the initial thought of getting an extra is good because it is such a great all-around airplane. I haven't heard anyone really say they suck at anything.

Papa Echo

New to GSN!
Thank you for the replies.
No, I have never flown any 3D foamies. I just looked at the RCF 48" EPP Extra 300 Blue. Nice!

Until now I didn’t make a decision.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Thank you for the replies.
No, I have never flown any 3D foamies. I just looked at the RCF 48" EPP Extra 300 Blue. Nice!

Until now I didn’t make a decision.

These are pretty cool too to get started! http://aerobeez.com/48-Extra-330-EPP-Full-Fuse-Electric-Aerobatic-RC-Plane-Green.html

I have the sbach version and really enjoy it but wish I had waited for the Extra 330 version. I have about 60 flights on it so far. Feels like a bigger plane and is super floaty!

Not knowing what kind of trainer or size I strongly suggest starting with a 40 to 50 inch wingspan electric 3D foamy. You need to get your feet wet before going from trainer to a 75" 3D plane that will run close to $1,000 for a full set up.

Get comfortable with the foamy and then start up sizing.

Just a suggestion.:quoties:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Not knowing what kind of trainer or size I strongly suggest starting with a 40 to 50 inch wingspan electric 3D foamy. You need to get your feet wet before going from trainer to a 75" 3D plane that will run close to $1,000 for a full set up.

Get comfortable with the foamy and then start up sizing.

Just a suggestion.:quoties:

+1000

Aerobeez

70cc twin V2
Hey all!

Couldn't help but notice some of our air frames being talked about here. Some sound advice coming from the guys here at 3DRCF to help you in your decision [MENTION=3522]Papa Echo[/MENTION].

If you have any specific questions regarding any of our planes feel free to shoot us a question any time. We would love for you to choose one of our frames to be your step up into a larger 3D platform, but ultimately you need to choose what is the best fit for you and your flying style/skill level.

Have a good afternoon!

Team Aerobeez

Duc750

New to GSN!
You can't beat a foamie to hack around for a while and learn the cheap way. My hack of choice is an rc factory 39" edge 540. Built it about 2 months ago and has about 100 flights on it so far (and a few repairs). I also have a 60" glow hack too for windy days but work tricky stuff out on the foamie first and then scale it up.

njswede

150cc
You're asking a hard question, because there are so many "right" answers. I have the 50cc Aerobeez Slick and it's great, so if the 30cc is anywhere near as good, I'd say it should be on the short list. Aerobeez are very active on the forums, so if you have any issues or questions, you have the experts right here.

But you also have to understand that you're going to put at least a grand in a 30-35cc (70-76" wing span) plane and since this is your first 3D plane... well... things may happen. The Aerobeez 48" class EPP foamies are great learning tools. And if you want to stay in the smaller class, my personal favorite is the 51" AJ Slick from 3DHS. It's capable of the most insane stuff.

Then there's the question what type of aerobatics you want to do. Crisp lines and precise maneuvers? Crazy high energy spins and tumbles? Low and slow hovers and harriers? There are planes that can handle all of the disciplines, but every plane will have one area that's better than all the others. In terms of well rounded air frames in my hangar, I'd say it's a toss-up between my 3DHS 72" Extra and the Aerobeez 50cc Slick.

Hmm... I realize that this post didn't really help. :) Bottom line is that there's a lot of great planes from great vendors.