• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Why I hate foamies....

SleepyC

150cc
So many people ask why I don't build foamies, but I will fly them if other people built them.

Here is why.

Many years ago around 2006 I believe, I was building what was then a state of the art foamie. The Ultimate Biplane that Hobbico was distributing. It weighed like 4 lbs, but hey that's a long time ago. ANYWAY, I was in my basement shop hiding from my wife (now ex-wife :D ) working on the Ultimate. I was glueing on the top wing on to the fuse area and was glopping the foam safe CA on it and it would not stick, so I added more. I was wearing sweat pants, and I did not see the glue running down the fuse and pooling on my lap. I got fed up waiting for the CA to cure so I grabbed the old kicker and shot the plane a few times. The plane was finally glued, but at that exact moment I felt a burning hot sensation down around the old "area". Then it got HOTTER and worse and I jumped up yanking my sweatpants off as I realized that I had spilled glue on my lap. As the pants came down I realized that yes, indeed I had glued Lil Sleepy to my pants and I was not having a good day. At that very moment my wife (now ex-wife) came down the basement stairs and saw me standing there, foamie glued to my hand, pants glued to.. well ME, with my pants down around my ankles... she just turned around and walked out without saying a word.

1) ALWAYS keep a bottle of debonder.. it saved my life

2) I hate foamies. I'll flyer but I will not build them!

;)

BalsaDust

Sleepy I have heard you tell that story before and well I'm sorry but I laugh and cringe all that the same time. I tell you what though I have found plans for a fun little foamy that I have built three of for myself and 4-5 for club members. First time I make it to an event that you will be at I will have one waiting for you. All you will have to do is glue some swervos (I use hot glue for the swervos so you will be safe from the CA) on and install a motor.

It's the least I can do for ya since you have gone and started this new site and all.

SleepyC

150cc
HAHA, I DO love flying foamies... just can't build them anymore. It's like if you get sick on Tequila it's hard to have a Margarita any time soon.

:D

I also gave in and created a 4oz milled out foamie a few years back using fishing line and all tiny carbon supports. Took it to the dome, placed it on the ground while I went to get it's first battery pack and I heard "FvvvvvvvFFFFttttt"... Foam snow all over the place. A RTF 2 channel cub had crashed into my milled out master piece and destroyed it before I got to fly it. At that point, I started buying BNF planes. :D

N726AC

70cc twin V2
My Son posted this;

Mom is not happy with the current dining table condition

10524574_297896563716811_2747899170449206816_n.jpg