• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Wing Sheeting loose/glue never set?

capthis

70cc twin V2
Gents, I bought a Carden Cap over the weekend at Toledo that the sheeting is not stuck very well to the cores. The turtle decks simply came right back off. It appears the airplane was framed several years ago with epoxy used for the cores that never fully cured. I am going to cut new stab cores, but the wings and rudder look good minus I'm concerned about the sheeting coming off in flight?

What if anything can be done? I've though about trying to inject wood glue with a syringe through the sheeting in about a million places?

I've even considered if there was some kind of chemical that could be sprayed on top the balsa that would activate the epoxy and harden it up like it should be?

I've also thought about just fiber glassing the wings like the warbird guys do. I really don't think I can cut new wing cores, and Carden hasn't produced this kit in years.

Any advice? When I pulled the sheeting off the turtle decks it was still sticky but come off clean. The stabs in places came off clean and other places didn't. So I've messed the stabs up but that's not nearly as big of deal as they don't have a tube in them as they are non removable stabs.

SleepyC

150cc
I've put a syringe into sheeting with glue. I'd use Gorilla glue and let it expand in there. Just use minimal amounts.

capthis

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking into cutting new foam cores. I spoke with Eureka Aircraft today and they can custom cut cores, I'd just have to send them what I currently have. I may see if it's something my buddy George can do here local too.

Sleepy, I'll have to think about how to actually do that. Sounds easy enough in theory... :)

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I would give it a try with GG like @SleepyC said, you don't have anything to lose. Worse case, it doesn't work and you have to buy new cores and sheeting. If it does, you just saved a bunch of money and added very minimal weight by repairing it!

poprlite

50cc
Capthis, I would avoid trying to get the wings skins just to stay down with a band aid. The sheeting provides alot of the strength within the wing. Turtle deck and other places you will probably be ok but if it were my investment I would replacement them.

capthis

70cc twin V2
That's my thoughts. On one hand if I can't fix the wings I got now it's not like I ruined them, but I want them fixed so I can trust them. And they may be fine as the original builder may have mixed the epoxy better on the wings, or used a different batch at this point I don't really know? They look good but I don't trust them.

When I looked the airplane over at Toledo (remember it was dark) I knew the sheeting was loose on the turtle deck but I just figured the builder didn't use enough glue or something. I never expected for it to all pull back off so easily nor for it to still be sticky.

I gave 150 bucks for the airframe. The cowl and wheel pants haven't been touched so worse case scenario is I'm out 150 bucks... That sux, but it's not life changing money.

Supposedly there is a place here local that sells foam so I am going to check that out, and I may be learning to cut cores?

Again thanks for the replies. Sometimes just having others to throw out suggestions is so very helpful when facing a problem. I've built airplanes now for 15 plus years and this right here is why I do not use hobby Epoxy on my own airplanes.

poprlite

50cc
No telling what really happened in his sheeting process. Sounds like he got his ratio way off. Maybe not paying attention to how important it was to mix correctly. Keep us posted in what you find and how you remedy the situation.

Chad

capthis

70cc twin V2
Exactly. I've even had the idea to put the wings in black trash bags and leave them lay out in the sun to heat them up to see if that will cure the epoxy if it hasn't?

The sad thing is they look good. Whoever sheeted this did a good job all but on the glue.

poprlite

50cc
That's probably just beating a dead horse but worth a shot. Crazy question but do you think he may not have used the other part to the epoxy? Try some solvent like thinner or mek if not.