• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS and Extreme Flight Merger?

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
3dhobbyshop extreme flight merger.jpg

So in the past few months I've heard rumblings and talk of a merger between the two powerhouses. I've kept my mouth shut as most rumblings are just rumors being passed around and i don't like to feed the monsters. Well as of late I've seen the chatter increase and posts made on the subject on other forums and social outlets. Most also know while many fanboys sit and fight with each other regarding the brands, Ben Fisher and Chris Hinson boast about their great friendship and mutual respect for each other. With the 3DHS team being dismantled on Jan 1st and lack of response from the camps this chatter is now gaining traction and quickly becoming news.

As I get info that can be validated i will pass it along but if you happen to be in the know or have heard some interesting info that may be in alignment with this please let us all know!

What's your take? Pro's? Con's?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have heard this info from a highly reputable source....

I think it would be both good and bad for numerous reasons.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
I have heard this info from a highly reputable source....

I think it would be both good and bad for numerous reasons.

And your going to just leave it at that...Good and Bad... Care to elaborate a bit. I don't know either company very well other than I have bought a plane from each and was treated very well. I like the 3DHS schemes better than EF and for me that little EF-48" Extra I bought fly's better than the 65" Vyper. Don't know how fare of a comparison that is. It just is what is for me. Both are quality products. Another tid bit is as you both know I have been trying to decide on what my next plane will be and I have narrowed it down to one of these two vendors. Still leaning heavily towards the EF-78" Extra 300, but then again Im digging the 3DHS 75" Extra 330 LT.

So share your thoughts guys. Don't be afraid. Tell it how you see it.

Now we'll get reasonable shipping on all our 7X" airframes! ha-ha. Sorry, not even funny I know.
Seriously, though, I've heard both companies are very friendly competitors and they both make excellent planes.
I wish them both the best of luck with whatever happens.

I like both brands, but it looks like 3DHS has slipped as of late. They have few offerings in the park flyer class these days, customer service is reportedly nonexistent, and there is always a shortage of stock. However, I have always liked their willingness to put out a niche product like the Yak 55 and run with it. Their covering schemes are unusual and set them apart from most ARF manufacturers. Extreme Flight has a proven track record of competition success, quality products, customer service, etc., but they sacrifice variety/imagination for an extremely well-tuned and well-built plane.

SO: If this merger goes the way I would like it to, we would see excellent customer service, a wider variety of airframes, Extreme Flight build quality/QC, parts availability, and some new covering schemes. EF would fill out the smaller size classes, and 3DHS would bolster the giant scale offerings.
Worst case, 3DHS poisons EF customer service, they struggle to support all of the 3DHS products, and eventually 3DHS is buried and we are left with one less top notch manufacturer in an already thin field.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I like both brands, but it looks like 3DHS has slipped as of late. They have few offerings in the park flyer class these days, customer service is reportedly nonexistent, and there is always a shortage of stock. However, I have always liked their willingness to put out a niche product like the Yak 55 and run with it. Their covering schemes are unusual and set them apart from most ARF manufacturers. Extreme Flight has a proven track record of competition success, quality products, customer service, etc., but they sacrifice variety/imagination for an extremely well-tuned and well-built plane.

SO: If this merger goes the way I would like it to, we would see excellent customer service, a wider variety of airframes, Extreme Flight build quality/QC, parts availability, and some new covering schemes. EF would fill out the smaller size classes, and 3DHS would bolster the giant scale offerings.
Worst case, 3DHS poisons EF customer service, they struggle to support all of the 3DHS products, and eventually 3DHS is buried and we are left with one less top notch manufacturer in an already thin field.

Well put!

Hmm, this is interesting. This might just be a coincidence but I remember not to long ago on EF's website they said they were moving into a larger warehouse. If 3DHS has to merge to stay in business I say go for it. It would be a shame to loose them.

It's gonna be all good for everybody! I'm sure of it. We love all the folks involved in both camps. It would make one really killer camp if combined. And, on the flight line it sort of becomes one big camp anyway... Good things ahead regardless...

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador

Also, well put.
However not sure I agree with this part:
"EF would fill out the smaller size classes, and 3DHS would bolster the giant scale offerings."
The indicators certainly can point to a potential merger and I too hope the benefits and positive aspects of both companies are synergized into a wonderful provider of great airframes. I've had nothing but great experiences with EF. Not much experience with 3DHS, only my first balsa - 48" Edge which I liked and it taught me much. Nothing negative to say. My experience and what I've witnessed does indicate EF frames are very durable.
I've been trying to urge both guys to do a Prometheus in 60"-100cc. I know and understand the reluctance to do a Bipe. Who knows, this might free up some R&D opportunities (let me
Dream!). If you look at my Avatar you can see I have some bias toward EF. If you add the 91" extra and 60" MXS in boxes and the since "retired" 60" Extra and 48" MXS. Well, guilty as charged of being a fan of EF.
I hope this adds up to good things for investors in 3DHS and EF as well as the hobby.