• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

50a ztw issue

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Well very well could be me but looks like I sadly may have an issue with my esc. It'll operate the servos however I get no audible tones when I power it up even after resetting the throttle calibration a couple of times. Fully charged and balanced battery. Anyone have any ideas?

On the plus side I bought it from quantum and I am travelling to the RI/CT area this weekend and if I conclude its goofed up and defective I can stop in and exchange it. Lol. The bummer is I won't be maidening my edge this afternoon. Lol.

njswede

150cc
I had the same issue with an ESC from another manufacturer. All the solders looked OK, but I decided to resolder the motor connections anyway. And, voila, it worked like a charm!

I think what's going on is that the ESC does a pretty rigorous test of the load (i.e. the motor) before energizing it. If there's even a small anomaly in resistance or impedance, it refuses to turn the power on. And no power means no tones.

You could of course have bad output FETs, but I would start by checking and double checking the motor connections first.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Please confirm that you turned the plane off, move the throttle to max, turn the plane on. Once it beeps twice, return the throttle to min, and it should beep twice again.

Now, turn unplug and replug in the battery and it should arm. If not, try using your throttle trim downward.

-G

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Hehe gyro I wasn't getting any beeps at all.

Njswede I went ahead and resoldered the connectors on the esc and I get it to recognize that the motor is there and the throttle calibration worked. Got the tones I was supposed to get. Still haven't completely solved it but am getting closer.

I don't think it's the esc now at least. Lol. Motor tries to spool up but doesn't quite get spinning almost like there isn't enough oomph to get it going. Thinking maybe battery related (fully charged and balanced, new battery), bad soldering on battery connector or bad soldering on the motor wires themselves.

Would just try plugging in another battery but only have the 1 with me at work today. Kind of a quiet day so at least a I get to troubleshoot this.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan_m

100cc
Sounds like a bad bullet/motor connection still then. Loose connections, or intermittent ones can often cause that excessive motor stuttering. Do you have bullets on it?
Try direct soldering the motor leads to the ESC.
Also possibly wiggle your capacitors gently on the ESC. I had one of the leads on a ZTW Land Power series break on one of the caps. The ESC wouldn't work at all, I guess the capacitor caused an open circuit. So I'll be replacing that capacitor. I had no beeps either, so I don't think yours is a fully open circuit, but possibly not a good one either. Just something else to look at maybe...

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Sounds like a bad bullet/motor connection still then. Loose connections, or intermittent ones can often cause that excessive motor stuttering. Do you have bullets on it?
Try direct soldering the motor leads to the ESC.
Also possibly wiggle your capacitors gently on the ESC. I had one of the leads on a ZTW Land Power series break on one of the caps. The ESC wouldn't work at all, I guess the capacitor caused an open circuit. So I'll be replacing that capacitor. I had no beeps either, so I don't think yours is a fully open circuit, but possibly not a good one either. Just something else to look at maybe...

Thanks Ryan. Resoldered battery connections and that didn't fix it. Next up pulling the motor off and resoldering all of those.

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Ok crappy solder job on the bullet connector on the motor. Resoldered all of that and problem solved. Thanks guys for the help. So what I thought could have been a bum esc ended up being easily fixable once I found it. Lol.

SnowDog

Ok crappy solder job on the bullet connector on the motor. Resoldered all of that and problem solved. Thanks guys for the help. So what I thought could have been a bum esc ended up being easily fixable once I found it. Lol.

That's awesome Chris! way to go!!

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
This video might be worth watching:
[video=youtube;3z4qXwgLDMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z4qXwgLDMs&list=UUCI1oQS7LmOpQQA0S_SDXpw&index=9&feature=plcp[/video]