• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AeroBeez 73" (26%) Yak-54 30cc ARF Airplane

gyro

GSN Contributor
Let start with the info from the manufacturer page:

These are the brand new version of our popular Yak 54 with new features and all new cool color scheme to match its performance.

New features:

• Pre-glued control surface hinges
  • Pre-assembled and plumbed fuel tank
  • New optional side force generator for more stable knife-edge manuevers
  • Enhanced structure for better CG placement
  • New eye catching color schemes that sure to grab attentions (available in two color schemes red/black and green/white)

Specifications:
Wing Span: 73
Length: 67
Wing Area: 1045 sq in
Fly Weight: 10.5 - 11.5lbs

Detailed Images:

Features:
1. New construction designed for light weight.
2. Superior build quality to allow for the most strenuous 3D flight profile.
3. 2-piece removable wings and stabilizers for easy transit.
4. Fully symmetrical tail wing airfoil.
5. Ball linkage control system.
6. Polyurethane wheels.
7. Carbon fiber wing tubes.
8. Carbon fiber landing gear.
9. Cowl has cowl ring built-in top conceal the screws for a more elegant appearance.
10. All hardware included.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Things that stand out to us:

1- SFGs! Definitely helpful on a Yak with its rounded fuse. KE performance and Harrier flying should improve from this update

2- Carbon all around! While many planes in this size class come with carbon tubes and gear, it's definitely not a given. Nice!

3- Top/Bottom Contrast! I really like the black stars on the top, and the lack of black underneath will provide a nice contrast.

4- Pre-glued control surface hinges This is HUGE! Again, not all ARFs of this size include this, definitely a nice touch

5- Pre-assembled and plumbed fuel tank! Again, another nice to have... and while many may choose to change out the tank for a different brand or size, it's a great option for those first time gas builders who can use the extra help in the build.

All around, this looks like a quality ARF. We like it so much, we've getting one! Keep your eye's peeled for a mini-build log, and official 3DRCForums review.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I think I will be purchasing this scheme and setting it up as an electric.

I don't think it will be as light as my 71 Slick but I like the neon green/white schemes; it will go nicely with my OMP Extra 300.

Just need some funds so I'll be listing a New-In-Box 3DHS 71 Slick (orange) in the classifieds after the 4th if I'm not able to sell the Slick at a couple of local 4th of July one day fly-in's.

I've had a couple of Aerobeez ARF's, they are a very good value.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I think I will be purchasing this scheme and setting it up as an electric.

I don't think it will be as light as my 71 Slick but I like the neon green/white schemes; it will go nicely with my OMP Extra 300.

I've had a couple of Aerobeez ARF's, they are a very good value.

That's awesome Rex! I like the Green too, I think it'll look awesome in the sky!
It'll be cool to try and meet up with our planes some time, and compare/contrast the gas vs. electric setups.

What power system will you use?

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Spoke with Alan about the electric conversion.

Most likely will retire my current 71 electric Slick and pull the power system out of it; it's currently 8S. Will set up the Yak 54 for 10S. My Tacon 110 will handle up to 14S but I'll need to get a HV ESC as my Ice 100 is only good to 8S.

Alan though 8S would be okay for the Yak but thought I'd need to more weight up front to hit the CG location. Not going to add dead weight so two 5S Lipo's in the 5000mAh range should put me where I need to be. If not I may look at a 12S setup.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Spoke with Alan about the electric conversion.

Most likely will retire my current 71 electric Slick and pull the power system out of it; it's currently 8S. Will set up the Yak 54 for 10S. My Tacon 110 will handle up to 14S but I'll need to get a HV ESC as my Ice 100 is only good to 8S.

Alan though 8S would be okay for the Yak but thought I'd need to more weight up front to hit the CG location. Not going to add dead weight so two 5S Lipo's in the 5000mAh range should put me where I need to be. If not I may look at a 12S setup.

Alan gave you some good advice. My thoughts are similar, however I don't think the cell count alone is a determinant, but rather the right amount of voltage to match the KV of the motor for the prop you want to use. Since you can't change your motor KV, you can use the right cells and prop to match.

I ran a Tacon 110 on a 74 Edge with 8s4000, and a 19 or 20 prop, I forget...

So I'm guessing a 10s setup will likely mean a 18 prop. For some, not a bad thing, but for many, a 3D plane in this size flies best on 19 or 20

YMMV

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
If that is the case I'll probably pick up a Tacon 160, it's 245kv. That should be good for a 19X8 or 20X6 on 10S.

The Tacon 160 is heavier also, that may allow me to drop down to 4000-4500 mAh packs......somewhat more affordable.

gyro

GSN Contributor
If that is the case I'll probably pick up a Tacon 160, it's 245kv. That should be good for a 19X8 or 20X6 on 10S.

The Tacon 160 is heavier also, that may allow me to drop down to 4000-4500 mAh packs......somewhat more affordable.

There is always the Motrolfly 4330 that you can get custom wound to whatever KV you'd like... more costly, but an amazing motor and relatively bulletproof for 3D flying with it's concentric bearing on the back.

That's the motor I have on my 74 Edge... and it's awesome.