• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Resurrection Aeroworks 85cc Yak

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I came into this airframe today along with a DLE 85cc for a really good deal. It has a couple places that needs some very minor work, the firewall will get replaced for personal comfort. Any one have one of these and have any suggestions or advice?

BalsaDust

image.jpeg
A buddy of mine has the 30cc Aeroworks Yak that could use very minor work. Firewall is strong as hell on it too.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I came into this airframe today along with a DLE 85cc for a really good deal. It has a couple places that needs some very minor work, the firewall will get replaced for personal comfort. Any one have one of these and have any suggestions or advice?

what's the extent of the damage? Aeroworks planes are pretty well respected so it's worth the effort to get it going again.

if the firewall is solid and set up already for the engine it might be unnecessary to pull it out and replace it.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The right side, above the wing has been broke and re glued out of alignment, not much I'm just anal. The firewall has had numerous engines mounted and loads of epoxy spread about. The DLE has a vibration dampening mount which needs more room so removing the wall, cleaning everything up, and installing a new wall suits my taste better. I'll take pics tomorrow for a visual.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The first pick is of damage needing repaired, or I should say, a cleaner neater repair. The firewall is solid and could work but I have to clean it up, it will not be any problem getting the face off and removing all the excess yuk. Besides, with the iso mount that was provided with the engine, it will need to be recessed just a little. I will also relocate the fuel dot and switches with some reinforcement to that area. I will recover the fuse from the rear of the canopy hatch forward after the repairs.

Attachments

• P1080448.JPG
    P1080448.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 491
  • P1080446.JPG
    P1080446.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 542
  • P1080447.JPG
    P1080447.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I am really glad I went this repair route, if I had not, most anything would have doomed the old bird. The repair work on the side had cracked and that break was from top to bottom, see pic, it has been repaired more appropriately. The firewall has been removed, need to measure and calculate where the new one needs to be, along with a little more sanding clean up. Once the wall is back in I will recover the front half of the fuse.

Attachments

• P1080451.JPG
    P1080451.JPG
    400.4 KB · Views: 483
  • P1080449.JPG
    P1080449.JPG
    445.4 KB · Views: 467
  • P1080450.JPG
    P1080450.JPG
    365.6 KB · Views: 455

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Whilst cutting the new firewall I took some measurements for the engine. It will not be getting the ISO mount, it would require cutting 1-1/2" off the box and that would be into the lightening holes. So no ISO, I will make stand-offs out of 1" dowel so as to fit perfectly.