• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aluminum vs. Carbon Stab tube

JAG

70cc twin V2
Anyone have a 5/8" x 0.035" carbon tube they could weigh? I'd like to know the weight savings over aluminum. Trying to shed some tail weight.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Care to explain?

ALL wing tubes bend. Aluminum stays bent, carbon goes back straight. Weight savings, if any at all, is negligible. Especially with a 5/8" tube, any savings would be so small it would not be noticed.

Reactions: JAG

JAG

70cc twin V2
ALL wing tubes bend. Aluminum stays bent, carbon goes back straight. Weight savings, if any at all, is negligible. Especially with a 5/8" tube, any savings would be so small it would not be noticed.

Ahh. That makes sense. Yeah looking to lose some tail weight and was curious if the weight difference would make it worth it or not. Thanks.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
It's worth it in the tail since the weight savings is multiplied by 4 give or take and stab tubes are cheap.

JAG

70cc twin V2
Yeah that's why I was hoping someone had one they could weigh. I emailed a supplier as well, but no response yet.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Yeah that's why I was hoping someone had one they could weigh. I emailed a supplier as well, but no response yet.
Some where I have a piece of 16mm I could weigh for you if I can find it. That's in the ball park for your size.