• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Any Monokote users here?

I've been building models for decades and for a very long time, Monokote was my iron on covering of choice. Several years ago, Monokote seemed to change their formula and I started to have problems I had never had or heard of before. These were mostly shrink and adhesion problems. As a result, most planes over the last decade or so have been covered with Ultracote that certainly works OK but it also has some issues. I'm working to finish a project I started years ago and I'd prefer to use Monokote on it for appearance and color match reasons so I have a couple of questions.

First, has Monokote resolved the issues they seemed to create for themselves? Has Monokote returned to the covering it once was? Anything else anyone can tell my about the current product would be helpful. Certainly I can just keep using Ultracote and the results will be OK but its just not the same as I could once achieve with Monokote.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Last Monokote I bought was last year and it was the "new" formula. Used to love it, now not so much.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Same as you. Adhesion was not like it used to be and shrinking was a pain.

Flyingjon

70cc twin V2
I was just reading earlier today on a thread on rcu that due to EPA they had to change their formula and since then it hasn't worked as nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Rick-

100cc
I had some 20 year old rolls of white, but didn't have enough for the plane I was working on at the time. Got some new rolls to finish the plane, the color still matched and I found it still worked the same but it doesn't stick as well. The plane I'm working on now just sitting on the bench I notice new spots coming lose all the time.

Thanks all for the link and information. Dang, I was hoping for better news. Recently, I repaired a friend's plane using some old Monokote I had in storage. Of course it worked perfect but the covering on the plane which was newer was very hard to work around. Very sad situation.