• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Anyone running W7 with aGeForce 210 card?

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
I'm not totally sure if the latest GeForce driver is causing this, but when I run RF7.5, after about 10 minutes my PC is totally useless.

The screen goes black with the message exactly as if the machine were turned off, but it isn't off.
I can't do anything from the keyboard.
Have to manually shut down and restart.

This is a new thing after 2 years of running on this same machine.
Windows 7
RealFlight 7.5
GeForce 210 Card with latest 341.95 driver
Resolution at the recommended 1360x768

Thanks for any help
Bob
progress.gif

Twister

70cc twin V2
I had a problem like that a few years ago, it ended up being dust caused the fan in the video card to stop working and the card would overheat when being heavily used. ( demanding graphics program like realflite )

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
Sounds reasonable.
Did you need to take the case off the tower, or is this possible from the rear of the machine?

Thanks
Bob

Twister

70cc twin V2
I had to take the case off then used a can of the duster ( air in a can ) and blew the dust out, I got lucky and the fan started working again. You would be surprised how much dust gets in there, the bad thing is dust can conduct electricity and short stuff out.
If you do this turn the pc off but leave it plugged in and keep one hand on the tower case to keep you grounded. Just a precaution to avoid static.

good luck

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
Thanks
Going to try that now.
I have one of those ground strap thingy's too.

I'll let you know how it shakes out.

Take care
Bob

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
My card has a heat sink and not a fan.
When I pulled the cover to check for dust the insides seemed warm, and it wasn't
very dusty at all.

I'm leaving the cover off and cooling it with a fan to see if I can recreate the
video failure.

Thanks
Bob

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I see you said that your running the latest driver. Was that a recent change? I've had a video card that I had to revert to an older driver to make it run correctly.

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
It must have been heat for some reason.
Just ran the sim for quite awhile and it wouldn't fail.

I'm mulling over some options...

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
Wound up getting a better but not superlative video card.
All is well now.
Thanks for the help

Bob