• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Benches and Shop Setups & Storage for Model Aircraft

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I've seen quite a few custom benches over the years that people use for building & maintaining model aircraft, and some clever storage ideas. I didn't already see a discussion on this where people can share photos and ideas of what they came up with... so why not now? Personally I'd eventually like to build a rolling table/workbench that you can walk around while building.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I've seen quite a few custom benches over the years that people use for building & maintaining model aircraft, and some clever storage ideas. I didn't already see a discussion on this where people can share photos and ideas of what they came up with... so why not now? Personally I'd eventually like to build a rolling table/workbench that you can walk around while building.
I recently built a bench in my garage. Adding Castors to the legs might not be a terrible idea at all as long as they can be locked. Mine is nothing fancy, just decided to build it out of 2x3's and 1/2" mdf for the top. The top got sander sealer finished off with polyurethane. uploadfromtaptalk1440299138579.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I like it. That is the design I had in mind. I like that you didn't go overkill, although I figured if I was going to put one together I'd probably add 4X4 legs, beef it up, add drawers for storage, and locking castors like you just mentioned. After all if the space is going to get used up, I might as well utilize it.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Yea, my goal was to make it cheap and fast. I achieved both of those. My total out of pocket for wood was less than $50. I had the finishing materials on hand already so not sure how much that cost.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Perfect! I've seen some bike tables that are built to a tough/sturdy construction, I may try to make a knock off of that.

Bipenut53

150cc
Bench Set Up

Ok [MENTION=3929]AKNick[/MENTION] please forgive my messy shop but what I did was to build two saw horses on wheels, I covered the top cross bar in padding and carpet on both, they both have casters on the bottom. I then built a cradle that is padded that is about two and a half feet above the cross bar. I can put bigger models in the cradle and rotate the fuse in the cradle as needed and it is also a little lower than chest high but the idea is that I dont have to bend over to work on my models. I can roll them around my shop when it isnt so messy and I can use both saw horses together for things like wings ect. Both saw horses have a shelf on the bottom so I can store stuff on.

DSCN2917.JPGDSCN2918.JPG

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Bench Set Up

Ok @AKNick please forgive my messy shop but what I did was to build two saw horses on wheels, I covered the top cross bar in padding and carpet on both, they both have casters on the bottom. I then built a cradle that is padded that is about two and a half feet above the cross bar. I can put bigger models in the cradle and rotate the fuse in the cradle as needed and it is also a little lower than chest high but the idea is that I dont have to bend over to work on my models. I can roll them around my shop when it isnt so messy and I can use both saw horses together for things like wings ect. Both saw horses have a shelf on the bottom so I can store stuff on.

View attachment 36126View attachment 36127

That's a good way to do it too! I wonder if I could make one like that where the intermediate supports could be disassembled for storage... Thanks [MENTION=3348]Bipenut[/MENTION]

Bipenut53

150cc
I started out by putting the cradle ends on with wing nut/bolts so they could come off but I found I never took them off and the holes where the wing nuts/bolts went through started to get wobbly so I permanently attached the cradles to the ends of the saw horses and have not regretted it.

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
Bipe - I stood back and looked at my shop (spare bedroom) last night and thought, "looks like a hoarder lives here". So I began cleaning it. You shop just looks like you use it. Not bad at all.

I purchased one of these stands. It is on castors so I can move the plane around and sit down while working on it if I want to.

stand.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: