• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build: EF 88" Edge 540T

I received my Extreme Flight 88" Edge 540T last week and I'm looking forward to getting it into the air. It arrived carefully packaged and in near perfect condition. There are a couple things that are minor flaws, but nothing major and I'm not going to bother EF with getting replacement parts even though they wouldn't fuss about getting me the parts.

I got started last night by drilling the holes in the firewall to mount the engine. Since I'll be using a DA 60, the positions for the holes were already marked which made it easy. I like to use blind nuts in the firewall with lock nuts on the part of the bolt extending beyond the firewall. Since the blind nuts are too long for the thickness of the firewall, I cut a couple pieces of lite ply, inserted the blind nuts into those and glued them in.

m0sE_W11M7XrGCkNLMEalLTxGPiv7zicRQhJ72oLVRU=w1144-h643-no

I1WNIMN4chr7b3Cn-yn1k7ZC-R3AWDg_xZ7NUlueU34=w1144-h643-no

m7WF9h_Lqzyqdpvoeq65SM66xPBOWnlxyQF8WtmOUkc=w1144-h643-no

Great! I'll bet you like it. I've been flying mine for a couple months now and I like it a lot. Also DA60.

Well, my batteries came today so all I need to do is change out the connectors for some APP's. I also got the canister mounts and a Vess 24B prop ordered. I know the Falcon 24x9 is the preferred prop for the DA 60 but a couple guys are using the Vess at my field and we're at a higher elevation so it's something to try.

m-Y_rNAZmTAYnRS4qMzj8ipOO3RsEq0ZOFbS5yQw-J4=w1065-h599-no

I had to submit a report on a breeding project we were doing with another outfit so that the contract can be terminated (it wasn't working out) so that took up part of my evening. I only got the control horns glued in but it's better than nothing. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the ailerons done and start gluing some hinges.

BiCsJd9gGQZiS2dDFeEB3A-k6WFZp5nBGDHf0oWCp3o=w1065-h599-no

"B"is a baseline pitch. Which is like a 10 pitch. Just sayin. :)

Ive found wood props tend to load the motor a bit more than a CF prop. But choose the wrong wood prop on a large engine... Ear plug alert!

The B may work out for you, but I ran 1 Vess prop, and it did absolutely nothing for me. It did have secent thrust, but felt like it was stuck in first gear all the time.........

I remember when they first came out for the 50cc motors and I was living in Colorado at the time. They made a big difference at the higher altitude and our flying field is close to 4000 ft. in elevation I think so I decided to try one again. If I don't like it, it was only $39.

Little more progress last night. I got the elevators hinged. I'm using the Pacer Hinge Glue which is no longer available and you can see how I tested to see if it was still good. Just a Robart hinge in a scrap piece of 1/2" balsa. I will also do a pull test.

7die6BxdNOQsX90WMnXPPisQBwtGLaYx0lAYj2CPMlo=w1065-h599-no

To prep the hinges for installation, I placed a drop of Tri-Flow on each pivot point and then set them on a paper towel. I used 91% alcohol to clean the hinges with the exception of the knuckles to remove any oil to ensure good adhesion.

bHOw56Nt0y7dkQ9-t9raMa5XAwrcoS1g-NWrCfsVJ_U=w1065-h599-no

XrXMZROUMN4vQiv1EdOrxl7GUIQKjQ9H6FZon0Di4XQ=w1065-h599-no

I then glued in the control horns for the ailerons.

sx0y6L3uhp3WmS8H0wXPyeodyY-vmBh-ZyBmSisZj4Q=w1065-h599-no

Little more progress tonight. I got the right aileron hinges glued and sealed the gaps on the elevators. I like to use Blenderm for sealing the hinge gaps. The two things I found that help is to not stretch the tape (should still be tight when applying though) and to have a fresh knife blade for cutting extra bit off of the edges.

I also ordered some more parts for the Edge. I ordered one of the Kevlar pull-pull kits from Don's Hobby Shop, charge receptacle for checking ignition battery voltage, 4-40 ball links, 2-56/4-40 ball links for throttle and choke on the motor (2-56 bolt ball link for a 4-40 rod), more Blenderm for sealing gaps, and some XH balance extensions for charging the batteries.

I just need to order a fuel dot and I'll go ahead and get some Secraft wing bolt and canopy bolt upgrades. I also plan to get a Planewrapper but I will order that later.

7isDkkeDAGNWkf2qoUMPHta_PTjExCuDlQbcdeZBV3A=w1065-h599-no

dZhacPaELWqJejoS4pxCGwfRoRGen6Mrl6FckVBw63k=w1065-h599-no

IpSmEIS9HMbsrnKBCQIiGxCxYyvNTPtoqTBOG1i_1LE=w1065-h599-no

uV6_y8sDb_fgSATe8_kLI-84nCjz6SYiJt0504PjCAw=w1065-h599-no

_uDSBYgx37_6xDw5F-1NPuFczYAI6psxJ-u-Wa0Gjdw=w1065-h599-no

yMrkDYHMxjcRW6gKmJYHp3LMxthRQX-PeT-Oivn9JBw=w1065-h599-no

Last edited:
Little more progress tonight. I got the left aileron hinges glued and worked on the getting the firewall set up for the motor. I had to remove a bit of material but it's close. I need to get a little more clearance for the fuel inlet on the carb and remove some material for the throttle linkage.

Also, I received my canister mounts and Vess prop yesterday and I ordered the Secraft fuel dot, wing bolts, and canopy bolts today.

0vgIwVEuqzt0Xng7mLW-TfDVQIqzWiUlEPF2rk4bivU=w1065-h599-no

1pYqdiCnrNHju9C8QsmOqRXcXxXj6PWe4GrB5XrkTmQ=w1065-h599-no

qzFn_du_MvOkM8cu7CETKrdVhhbYomiVJDxwvcSBYeg=w1065-h599-no

Little more progress on the Edge tonight. I got the rudder hinges glued. On my 88" Extra, the rudder hinges eventually started to get sloppy and were close to breaking so I had to redo them. When I re-did the Extra, I added 2 extra hinges so I did the same for the rudder on the Edge. Not to hard to do especially if you haven't glued the hinges that are already drilled.

hWUeJ_8dOqDuUAWVGwh9GWBGELQvex6hQ5INjYl_s_c=w1065-h599-no

T34u-dlHnOGIcKDSEKq_YWRz55hTyA37K1mPKlA1VCg=w1065-h599-no