• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Building a Bulldog II

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
For those whom know me know I love biplanes, especially the Pitts. Since the completion of the "Eagle" I have been looking for an airframe to do a Bulldog II from. I bought a Challenger II and am almost done with the build, but early in realized there would be to much modification for a true scale Bulldog. There are a few other kit airframe's out there but not designed around the Bulldog so a lot of modifying would be needed. I don't want a $1500+ kit just to cut it all up, which would be necessary for true scale. Well a short while ago I fell into a conversation with Andreas of Blazing Wing's. He said he would be willing to make any modifications to one of his Challenger kits that I wanted. So I sent him some specifics of what I would like, changes in the wings sweep, changes in the tail feathers and the such as well as desired size.
A few emails, a phone conversation or so later, here I sit looking at getting a kit custom cut to my specifications for me to build the Bulldog II with. It may be a few months before we hash out all the specific changes to the Challenger but I am getting very excited.
This will be, for me, a tribute to one of the best aerobatic pilot's to have ever been.
Mr. Jim LeRoy

Attachments

• 41868_1186520485.jpg
    41868_1186520485.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 1,146
Last edited:

Blazing Wings

70cc twin V2
Perimeter of the wing. Confirming shape and next figuring out where and how many ribs are required, and how ailerons will be hinged. I will talk to customer to get more details on this before starting drawing the top wing ribs.

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 525

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
That matches the outline drawing exactly. The full scale had a lot more ribs than a normal Pitts, I just sent you a drawing showing the number and placement. I will do the aileron hinging, I use G10 and cut the hinges for a scale rotation point.
Looking forward to seeing it with ribs drawn in.

Blazing Wings

70cc twin V2
Ok, I will work on it and have the ribs done by next week. You can let me know if anything else needs to be done, before moving onto bottom wings.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Sounds good. On the top wings, don't worry about drawing a strut or cabane mount. I will be doing a scale bolt through wing to the struts, a scale cabane and cover, so I will fabricate those mounts to fit during construction.

Blazing Wings

70cc twin V2
Ok, I think I have enough info to know what you are looking for. Give me a few days to draw it up and I will post it here. I will design the ailerons to scale as per your request. The hinge mount G10 you said you will do, so I wont add that into the drawing.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
A little thinking ahead here. With the size of the ailerons two servos each seem a must, one servo per elevator half, and possibly two on rudder. I know most if not all of the on board electronics needed and I know I want to utilize Forgues Research fiber-optic servo links. I'm not quite sure as to the engine, maybe a Valach 170 or 210 for a 4 stroke, something around a 170 for a 2 stroke. Any thought's on the 2 stroke is welcome, I am thinking probably fifty plus pounds finish weight.