1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
    Dismiss Notice

Canopy Refurbishment/Repair

Discussion in 'Covering and Painting' started by Wacobipe, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Wacobipe

Wacobipe 100cc

Let's just say you had a canopy that had some light scratches and perhaps some Hysol on the surface...just a hypothetical, it didn't happen to me or anything :mad:

Is it possible to sand those areas to remove the epoxy and scratches, and then buff those sandpaper scratches out or do you just have to throw the canopy out and buy a new one?

Thoughts or techniques appreciated.

@Bartman and @SleepyC ....this isn't really covering and painting....but didn't fit anywhere else either so feel free to move it if you think it belongs somewhere else.

2. Bunky.F.Knuckle

Bunky.F.Knuckle 150cc

Can you lightly flex the canopy to crack the epoxy and then pick at it lightly with an xacto?

dhal22 and Wacobipe like this.
  3. Jetpainter

Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

You can polish them with rubbing compound, but if it's to bad you can clearcoat it. Terry has had some good info on tinting and clearing canopies in past threads.

Wacobipe likes this.
  4. Wacobipe

Wacobipe 100cc

I think that could work in general...but Hysol is quite flexible so it'll probably enjoy the message and stay put! But I will try it!

5. dhal22

dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

But the Hysol is only hypothetical so the theories remain that, theories.

thurmma, Wacobipe and Alky6 like this.
  6. Bunky.F.Knuckle

Bunky.F.Knuckle 150cc

I never used hysol. Only GG for me.

Maybe mineral spirits. But check first to see if it doesnt fog the canopy or soften it.

7. dhal22

dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Every glue has it's place. Polyurethane (GG) is king of the hill in foam wing core sheeting. Hysol is basically epoxy but with a non sag advantage as well as squeeze the trigger and it mixes in the tube. Also the long tube is accurate and great for reaching into tight spots.

I keep several tubes of Hysol, several types types of epoxy, wood glue, JB weld, polyurethane glue, Sigment, all CA's, etc. I love glue.

thurmma likes this.
  8. Pistolera

Pistolera HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!

Well I know this guy;) who got a drop of CA on his Krill canopy. Then tried some de-bonder on the spot which made it bigger!!! Hint....de-bonder eats plastic :confused:

It took awhile but starting with very small pieces of 600 paper I progressed to 2000. By then the circle was about the size of a quarter.

Shifted to auto polishing compound, then toothpaste and finally plastic polish. Happy to report that it looks good as new. Took a few hours though. Lesson learned :cheers:

9. Wacobipe

Wacobipe 100cc

Good report...not an easy operation...but good to know! Definitely cheaper than a new canopy and frame shipped from Germany. Did I mention there may be more than 1 or 2 spots...

dhal22 and Jetpainter like this.
  10. Jetpainter

Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

Hypothetically;)

thurmma and Wacobipe like this.