• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cold Weather Flying Tips

econpatric

70cc twin V2
This question was originally posted in my midwest pilots group area by 'willfly2'. I think its a great question for those of us who fly in colder climates:

"HI Guy's-- Wanted to chime in here to see if anyone fly's in the winter? If so do you have any tips in general? Do's and Dont's regarding Cold, Moisture, Condensation, etc.

I know some of things will be obvious, but I would be interested in any cold weather experience you have had...good or bad.

Thanks,
willfly2"

quadracer

100cc
Invest in a car with a sunroof. That way, you can poke your head out to fly while the heater is on. :D (don't think I haven't considered it.....)

Invest in a car with a sunroof. That way, you can poke your head out to fly while the heater is on. :D (don't think I haven't considered it.....)

Great idea! :) I'm taking the Audi to go fly now! :)

My tip is to have a transmitter mitt, and to keep your lipos from freezing :)

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
When I lived in Ohio I flew all year round, but to do so my hands had to be warm and gloves were out of the question because of feel. I bought a transmitter bag and although dorky looking the transmitter and both hands are in fleece lined warmth. I still have it but not needed in Texas and can't remember where I ordered it from but I do remember I ordered it from a post here on RCG. Has a clear window so you still can see your radio and provision for a neck strap as well.

wedoitall

When I lived in Ohio I flew all year round, but to do so my hands had to be warm and gloves were out of the question because of feel. I bought a transmitter bag and although dorky looking the transmitter and both hands are in fleece lined warmth. I still have it but not needed in Texas and can't remember where I ordered it from but I do remember I ordered it from a post here on RCG. Has a clear window so you still can see your radio and provision for a neck strap as well.

wanna sell it?

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
wanna sell it?
They offered free personalization with your name and AMA number but some can be cut out I suppose. Anyway here is what it looks like. There is velcro on the top to get your transmitter in and you can see the arm tube are long enough to go up your forearms. Definitely they way to fly in the winter. PM me if you are still interested. I do plan on moving back to Ohio sometime but as I have gotten older I don't know if my body wants to stand out in the cold now. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 342
Here's a few tips. As I'm writing this, it was 5 below last night and about all of 10 now, so I have to say... it's too darned cold for me to fly! I'm getting soft. Today is cloud cover and that makes it really cold! If the sun was out, I'd probably go for it.

Here's what I try to do:

I try to keep batteries warm - in my pocket or in the vehicle.
The transmitter mitt I have is kind of tight - it's a turnigy and not too warm either. The mitt posted above looks much better!
I richen up my gasser a little bit. I tried covering the cowling vents up but had mixed results. It kind of ran a bit off, since the pressure was a bit goofy. I did get about 10 to 15 degrees more head temp.
I flew a little shorter flights until I found out if my battery life was the same, the cold sucks battery life but keeping them warm seems to combat that nicely.
I wear gloves with heat packs in them when not flying
I wear insulated Carhart bib overalls and insulated snow pacs, neck gaitor, warmest hat you can find (man, I'm moving somewhere warmer).
I use skis on all the planes in the winter so I can land anywhere on our soccer field, this is the part that I think is actually really fun. Makes me more confident to get lower, too.

What I really want: A clear dome tent that I can stay in, run a heater, and see to fly out of. Maybe a hole in the top for my noggin to poke out.