• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Curious. Ethanol or not

jetmech05

New to GSN!
I'm new here, been a member well let's see reckon all day now.
Been reading some posts in here and now I wonder how many of us are running ethanol free?
This is what I do. Ethanol free gas mixed with redline at 40:1. I use this even on break in.
The engine seems to run cooler and better than when I used gas with ethanol.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Welcome!!! I use whatever high octane available when I stop for gas. To be honest I've never experienced any difference in ethanol free vs the blended stuff. Also running Red Line at 40:1 in my DA150, going into its 4th season with me and runs like a champ :fist_pump:

kwj48

70cc twin V2
I'm new here, been a member well let's see reckon all day now.
Been reading some posts in here and now I wonder how many of us are running ethanol free?
This is what I do. Ethanol free gas mixed with redline at 40:1. I use this even on break in.
The engine seems to run cooler and better than when I used gas with ethanol.

I run ethanol free only because it's at a marina near me. Most two stroke oils have stabilizers already added in for fuel with ethanol so either way I don't think it's a huge difference.

If you have E0 go with that. If you have E10, go with that. A lot of myths out there with E10 and for anything 20 years old or newer E10 (probably even older than that) is fine. E15 you can start running into some issues. I have 2 strokes that are 15 years old and the diaphragm carbs are original and no issues. If you get crappy E10, go to a different station.

Actually because I had 110 gallons of E0 fuel to get rid of, I used it in my company truck that I drive. I found no difference in MPG or performance.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ethanol free 91 octane with Redline 40:1 mix. Why? Because the station is close, the fuel is reasonably priced and not willing to take a chance with ethanol fuels. Here is my reason. Perhaps the fuel we get that is blended here is different from other places, but I can personally witness that after about 6 months, Tygon fuel line is harder than my...... when a redhead is around. Seriously.... Many of my friends were also running ethanol based fuels at 87 octane. They could not keep their motors running and it seemed they were always fiddling with the carb to get it running. One of my closest friends was running the ethanol based fuel and his DA 170 would dead stick or stumble every time he took off. He was always messing with the needles. I finally got exasperated and told him to drain that crap out of his tank. In which he complied. I gave him a full tank of my mix and what do you know???? The 170 ran 100% better than it ever had prior to the refill. I've been running the same fuel lines in my 260 since the day I put her together in Dec. of 2012. I'm in no way discrediting or doubting anyone else that has had success with the ethanol. But out here in potato country, the ethanol purely "SUCKS". Won't use it even if a tanker full was given to me.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
No issues with Ethanol gas after flying it for about five years now. About the only thing that might occur is the Walbro rubber fuel pump diaphragm could have problems over time, but Walbro has the other diaphragms that you can put in.

I used to run tygon line but quit using that. I did not find the normal Tygon to be of good use even in other applications I have used in years past.