• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Deadstick and close call

BalsaDust

Ouch. Glad it wasn't to bad. For me whenever I have a dead stick unless I have tons of altitude to make an approach to the runway I generally just point the nose straight and float it into the tall grass. Maybe it's from watching the warbird guys try to make that final turn during a dead stick and stalling a wing tip.

njswede

150cc
Yeah, I lost a lot of energy trying to turn it around and back to the runway. The thing is that there's a lot of rocks and bumps under that grass and I would probably have pulled the gear out if I attempted to set it down there.

Always easy to play Monday morning QB. It was the best I could do at that point with very little altitude and no air speed. And there was no need for a garbage bag, which is always nice.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Not bad considering a fairly low deadstick. That was an almost exact re-creation of what I did at Joe Nall with @Islandflyer 's edge ;). Not a lot of time to think in those cases!! Do you use an idle up switch before take-off? Seen quite a few people loose planes in pop-tops and tumbles when the engine sags and they did not have an idle up / down switch.

Just curious.

njswede

150cc
Not bad considering a fairly low deadstick. That was an almost exact re-creation of what I did at Joe Nall with @Islandflyer 's edge ;). Not a lot of time to think in those cases!! Do you use an idle up switch before take-off? Seen quite a few people loose planes in pop-tops and tumbles when the engine sags and they did not have an idle up / down switch.

Just curious.

No, it was a case of a loose cowl. It must have shook loose and lodged behind the spinner backplate. The CF spinner backplate and the front of the cowl were ground down. You can hear and see how it's losing power in the upline and finally dies when I reduce the throttle. If you watch fullscreen in HD you can see that the cowl is very misaligned right before impact. Good news is that I was going to replace the cowl anyway.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I did that twice in one day with a buddies 33% Sukhoi so I feel your pain. It just didn't like pop tops. Luckily the landings were okay. Looks like your lives to fight another day.