• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

dle 30 or eme 35

Ok fellas I'm getting a pilot 3d trainer to kick around with. looking for a good gas motor to stick on the front of it. there are two guys at my field that have Dle 30. the newest one seems to have a Fueling problem when trying to prop hang. Seems Sloppy rich when flying straight and level. I haven't really looked at his set up.
I know that Eme has been around for a couple of years now how good are they?

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Do you plan on moving this engine to another airframe in the future? I ask because it is very common for these engines to outlive the airframes even without a crash. If you are, consider a 35 instead or even a Twin 40. I think that size would work better if you eventually moved it to an Extra or an Edge in the future.

In this size engine, I have the VVRC 40 twin myself. I even thought about putting it on the Pilot 3D trainer as well. Another engine to consider is the DA35. It's quite a bit more expensive than the DLE, but they are probably the best in the US to send the engine in to get it fixed.

As far as the "fueling" problem though, My guess is the engine was never tuned correctly to begin with. A gas engine should never run sloppy rich. Another issue could be a problem with the carb on that specific engine. Most of the time these kinds of issues can be fixed if you follow one of the many threads on DLE carbs.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I would not hesitate to use either. The EME should swing a little larger prop because it is 35cc. As far as quality.....Both are quality budget minded engines. EME is been in the US now for over four years.

I have 2 35% ers 1 with DA100. And the other has DA100L. I also have 74"EF yak 54 with brillelli 46 gt ( the throttle curve is more like a light switch off or on). I love my DA sbut money is an object I would like to get this plane and an engine for under $600( that puTs Valley View rc 40 out of reach) I already have servos. I got a chance to fly this plane this past summer it flew awesome. easy to prop hang, and knife edge with very little coupling, which surprised me!
most of the guys I fly with fly great big trainers like the mentor.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Cool, then it sounds like you are doing the same thing I considered, using this plane in place of my smaller glow to kick around at the field. I know that Chief offers this with the DLE35 rear entry. I would bet that would also be a good choice.

I have not seen this plane in person, I was a little concerned about the way the wings attach. I would have preferred to see a traditional wing tube.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just a thought. DLE makes very good motors and they keep getting better each day. The 30 will be perfect little motor for what you are looking for. I have a couple of friends that have the DLE 35 rear exhaust. I also had one. Great little motors but not that much more powerful over the 30. And for me, I absolutely despised the rear exhaust. Bolts keep coming loose on the muffler... Just sayin'.

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I think EME does a better job with the reeds and crankcases. DLE's Look Light where EME's Look Heavy but are close in weight.
If it where simply a personal preference of course you all know my stance from tooting EME's horn.
I will say a buddies DLE 55 RA ran pretty darn good out of the box on the stock muffler. Very smooth and linear throttle response turning a 23x8 Xoar Sword. Pulled a high drag airframe with ease (scratched 94" Lazer ). My EME 60 is an animal with a pro flow.