• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Favorite RC Magazine?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I've lost track of what's out there and what isn't. Obviously Model Aviation is still here, as is FlyRC but what about Model Airplane News, RC Sport Flyer, and the others?

What's your favorite?

Call it a little market research! ;)

BalsaDust

I still see model airplane news and RCM on the shelves at the store and their post on Facebook. Not sure about others.

ryan_m

100cc
None of them. There isn't such a thing as an objective review in a magazine anymore, any reviews are generally paid advertisers and they don't want to risk offending them. Every review of every plane I get seems like it's more concerned with "it only took two clicks of trim!" type of statements, and they always say that everything flies great. Then you buy the plane and discover it has a wicked snap/stall tendency, wing rocks like crazy in a harrier, and generally just doesn't fly very well except in straight and level flight. And then I get disgusted. I let all subscriptions I had expire several years ago and have no intention of renewing them ever. I would love to see a magazine that was actually written objectively and called out poor products. But alas it would go bankrupt since advertisers would probably never again give them money.

Alpha20

50cc
www.fmt-rc.de

Via Itunes I think the magazine can be downloaded in English as well.
The reviews in Model Airplane News were the very reason I unsubscribed that magazine. If they cannot be honest about a product there is no point in subscribing.

camss69

70cc twin V2
I used to read every magazine I could get my hands on cover to cover before there was the innernets.... Now a days everything you read in a magazine is already dated. I flip through Model Aviation and they have had some stuff that interests me. I like the issue they did with the P-39's. The recent issue with the warbird racing was interesting because I've raced them here in Northern CA. I actually look at the ads in the mag more than anything.

Last edited:

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
They all suck. Stopped taking them all. Ever notice it's mostly electric now a days. I bet you can guess my opinion on electric

I actually am almost 100% electric, and I still think the coverage is lacking. It seems to be a lot of entry level or smaller type planes. I would like to seem some stuff that I don't already see everyday the field. When I put together a new power system, like I did for my 93" Laser I did a lot alternate research because none of the Magazines report on these systems.

I still read the AMA Mag and FLY RC, but it is basically skimming.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
In my opinion they're all a waste of money....even the AMA rag gets about 10 minutes before it goes in the recylce as well. The web provides all I need to read, learn, etc.

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
I certainly agree that I learn (and enjoy) more reading from this site from people who are actually experiencing things more real time. Also, I get more feel for the edges of our sport and people pushing and trying new things with the models and technologies.

I also like being able to see posts from an event that I am not able to attend quickly.