• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Fayetteville Charity Fun Fly

Just Lucy

New to GSN!
Yesterday, I went down to Fayetteville, Arkansas for their fall fly-in event. Their fall event is always for a charity. The charity they were raising money for this year was JDRF, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. I talked to the president of the club to get more of the scoop on how they decided JDRF, and this is what he had to say:
A couple of years ago we were doing a charity fun fly for Shop With A Cop and we had problems dealing with the Fraternal Order of Police. They took $100 allotments of money and shop with children at Christmas time to lets them get toys and to meet their needs. Great program. Little did we know at least in Fayetteville the FOP has become a labor union issue. I knew nothing of the FOP personally nor did any of the other officers. We could not get anyone to call us back and the FOP elected a new president every year and we would wait weeks to track down who the new head was and get them to even talk to us. The last year we did it we had to call several times to even get them to come out to get the check.

I made the recommendation to the club that to give away money and Shop With A cop is a great cause it should not be so hard. It is no sin for us to give money away and have a worthy organization who wants it and is willing to make it easier on us to do so. I recommended JDRF as I was familiar with them as my father had Type II diabetes and I pastor some families who have children who are type 1. My nephew is type 1. More than great cause so I contacted the local chapter of JDRF and they jumped at the chance. Shop With a Cop only wanted $100 increments. JDRF said we want $1 and anything else we are not picky we will take anything and be thankful for it. They send a family (actually same family comes every year now as they like models and want to) and takes the check and JDRF promotes the fun fly for us.

We wanted to give back to our community and also we are on city park land. To show the city we "give back" lets them know we are not just takers and we are a worthwhile club that contributes and not just takes. JDRF is a GREAT cause and it looks GREAT for us in giving to them for the city and that is good for us. We help ourselves and help others and it is easy to do so. That is our reason why.
Norman

Despite the wind forecast, 15-18mph from SSW gusting to 30, there was still a great turnout. By noon time there was 37 registered pilots. Some of them brought their families with but, three was a lot of spectators also. The parking lot was full of vechile a. The members there would have made room for you though. They make everyone feel welcome. Thank you again Ozark RC Flyers for putting on a great event.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,055
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 421
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 456
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 476
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 445
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 463
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 456
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 433
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 472
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    435.2 KB · Views: 451
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    465.1 KB · Views: 481
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 499
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 438
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 450

Xtreme_Power_RCS

Staff member
Yesterday, I went down to Fayetteville, Arkansas for their fall fly-in event. Their fall event is always for a charity. The charity they were raising money for this year was JDRF, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. I talked to the president of the club to get more of the scoop on how they decided JDRF, and this is what he had to say:
A couple of years ago we were doing a charity fun fly for Shop With A Cop and we had problems dealing with the Fraternal Order of Police. They took $100 allotments of money and shop with children at Christmas time to lets them get toys and to meet their needs. Great program. Little did we know at least in Fayetteville the FOP has become a labor union issue. I knew nothing of the FOP personally nor did any of the other officers. We could not get anyone to call us back and the FOP elected a new president every year and we would wait weeks to track down who the new head was and get them to even talk to us. The last year we did it we had to call several times to even get them to come out to get the check.

I made the recommendation to the club that to give away money and Shop With A cop is a great cause it should not be so hard. It is no sin for us to give money away and have a worthy organization who wants it and is willing to make it easier on us to do so. I recommended JDRF as I was familiar with them as my father had Type II diabetes and I pastor some families who have children who are type 1. My nephew is type 1. More than great cause so I contacted the local chapter of JDRF and they jumped at the chance. Shop With a Cop only wanted $100 increments. JDRF said we want $1 and anything else we are not picky we will take anything and be thankful for it. They send a family (actually same family comes every year now as they like models and want to) and takes the check and JDRF promotes the fun fly for us.

We wanted to give back to our community and also we are on city park land. To show the city we "give back" lets them know we are not just takers and we are a worthwhile club that contributes and not just takes. JDRF is a GREAT cause and it looks GREAT for us in giving to them for the city and that is good for us. We help ourselves and help others and it is easy to do so. That is our reason why.
Norman

Despite the wind forecast, 15-18mph from SSW gusting to 30, there was still a great turnout. By noon time there was 37 registered pilots. Some of them brought their families with but, three was a lot of spectators also. The parking lot was full of vechile a. The members there would have made room for you though. They make everyone feel welcome. Thank you again Ozark RC Flyers for putting on a great event.

Great coverage Lucy!