• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC First Carden 124" Extra 300 Pro Build

My Carden 124" Extra 300 Pro kit arrived yesterday. I've got a reasonable amount of building experience, but this will be my first time building a giant scale model. I'm not in a rush as I have a good IMAC frame already so I'll be taking my time in the hope of getting things right. Thanks already go to @orthobird for answering a few questions for me while the kit was being manufactured, but as I go along I would be very grateful for any advice from anyone with experience.

The plan is to fit a DA170 on KS1090 pipes and vacuum bag the wings. Beyond that my only real objective is to learn from the build and keep the final dry weight well below 20Kg (44lb). Oh, and hopefully have an airframe that flies straight at the end!

IMG_20160516_113904.jpg

Watch this space...

I am in too! This is awesome! Don't you just love the quality of the wood (balsa and ply)?
It is top quality. I decided to go with the DA 150L and the KS 1090 tuned pipes. Hopefully mine will be in 39 pound range.

I am in too! This is awesome! Don't you just love the quality of the wood (balsa and ply)?
It is top quality. I decided to go with the DA 150L and the KS 1090 tuned pipes. Hopefully mine will be in 39 pound range.

I must admit, I am tempted by the DA150L - I'm going to do some more research. If I do go DA150L I may consider MTW RE3 pipes as my understanding is that they work well on the DA150 even though they don't on the DA170.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
From my experience the DA150/RE3 is a great engine/pipe combo. Pulls my 42% Raven through IMAC Advanced with ease. Smooth running and easy starts....every time! I have the older non-L version.

Nice!

Have fun with the build and remember that if you have to force yourself, just back away.

I started a Dalton 35% 260 years many years ago and then got frustrated and sold the plane. I regretted it and now I have a 39% 300. After 7 years, I'm still working on it because life keeps getting in the way but that's how things go sometimes...

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I must admit, I am tempted by the DA150L - I'm going to do some more research. If I do go DA150L I may consider MTW RE3 pipes as my understanding is that they work well on the DA150 even though they don't on the DA170.
I love the RE3s on my DA170. 14" headers and 1200+ trouble free flights. More power than I really need on my 39# plane but it's there when I want it.