• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

First larger plane

Hello, I currently have 48" planes, mostly fly sport, some precision, some 3d. I would like to purchase a larger plane to fly with some 6s batteries I have laying around for my heli's. I have my eye on a 73" Laser 230s to fly electric for awhile with the option to convert to 12s or gas down the road. Does anyone fly this size with a single 6s? Can someone please give me some motor/setup recommendations? Thank you.

Robert

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Why not go with a 60" size? I'm running 6s 3300-3700 in all of mine and they fly very well. Better with the 3300. Not sure what size packs you have but my run times are about 6.5min.
I'm currently putting together a 75" edge from extreme flight, going to run 12S, CC80HV, Motrofly 4330-216 (I think). I've seen videos of people using 8s with the 73" laser with a Hacker motor. 6s might be a too little go juice. I would recommend using what the MFGR has set up for their aircraft or mimic similar specs.

Alky6

150cc
Hello, I currently have 48" planes, mostly fly sport, some precision, some 3d. I would like to purchase a larger plane to fly with some 6s batteries I have laying around for my heli's. I have my eye on a 73" Laser 230s to fly electric for awhile with the option to convert to 12s or gas down the road. Does anyone fly this size with a single 6s? Can someone please give me some motor/setup recommendations? Thank you.

Robert
I agree with @AKNick that size plane is too big for 6s - I have the Extreme Flight 60" Extra and use 6s - 3300 batts with their recommended power setup Torque 4016 motor. A friend has the AJ aircraft 60" Laser (same motor). It is a bit bigger and would benefit from larger packs. I have flown both and the AJ is unbelievable. No coupling in knife edge. Pretty ridiculous. Very forgiving too. The EF Extra is less forgiving but still flies very well. I also get 6.5 minutes of pretty hard flying with an APC 15x6 (xoar 15x6 beech has better performance) on 6s 3300 batteries with the Torque 4016 motor on the EF 60" extra.

@dhal22 has a good idea also...

I'm sorry I should have been more specific. This is a reply from AJ Aircraft:

Robert

You are right on the money the 73 laser is an awesome plane, especially for 6s 5000, also it fly's like a gentle bird, or it can do what ever you throw at it. either way fantastic plane one of my personal favorite's.

Thank you

Scott B

Sincerely,
AJ Aircraft

I was wondering what others if any have used for 6s setup. AJ recommend the Motrofly 4330 but don't have any recommendations for kv.

I really don't want to purchase a 60" now, then purchase a 73" later. I'd rather just purchase the 73", run electric, then convert to gas.

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Might be worth a e-mail to Ken at Subsonic planes. He hand winds his motors. on his website he sates the 4330-400 or -435 on 6S with a 19X8 pulling 2700W, I got the 4330-216 on 12S pulling max 3200W with a 20x8 per the specs. From what I've heard 12S on a 7X" planes feels like a 60" on 6S. The AJ laser is pretty darn light for it's size so you may get away without stupid power (12S). I personally think 8S should be min for a 7X" plane - but I'm no expert.
I do have the 73" AJ laser (There is an assembly thread I started a few years back on this site), it has a DA35 in it. Flies on rails. Very comfortable airframe to fly, predictable for a 3D plane too! Great airframe.
https://www.giantscalenews.com/threads/aj-laser-230z-73-build-thread.7705/

Might be worth a e-mail to Ken at Subsonic planes. He hand winds his motors. on his website he sates the 4330-400 or -435 on 6S with a 19X8 pulling 2700W, I got the 4330-216 on 12S pulling max 3200W with a 20x8 per the specs. From what I've heard 12S on a 7X" planes feels like a 60" on 6S. The AJ laser is pretty darn light for it's size so you may get away without stupid power (12S). I personally think 8S should be min for a 7X" plane - but I'm no expert.
I do have the 73" AJ laser (There is an assembly thread I started a few years back on this site), it has a DA35 in it. Flies on rails. Very comfortable airframe to fly, predictable for a 3D plane too! Great airframe.
https://www.giantscalenews.com/threads/aj-laser-230z-73-build-thread.7705/

Thank you I will look into Subsonic planes and your build thread. :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I'd rather just purchase the 73", run electric, then convert to gas.
Don't know much about electric planes so I will keep this real brief. I have had a couple. But not like most guys. From what I have seen and learned and from the fellas that fly electric, they absolutely love the 73" to 92" planes. They adapt well to electric power and cost wise, not really any more expensive than a gas setup. When converting to gas, they are a breeze and such a clean setup because the plane has not been butchered up. My 33% SD Yak is living proof of that. It started as an electric but was never flown when I bought it. It immediately went to gas setup. But a word of insight only really. There is such a huge....HUGE difference between the power band of an electric setup and a gas setup. Electric power is "RIGHT NOW". Responsive and very precise. Not that gas is a slouch. But just a different kind of power. Most guys that fly electric rarely go to gas. At least here in my neck of the woods. Those that are true petrol burning addicts will never switch from gas to electric. If your ultimate goal is to go gas, You may want to consider just biting the bullet and going for it now. Any plane that is set up well and weight is watched, will fly very well. Whether electric or gas. It really comes down to what you really love and what you will be happy with. Along with your long term goals. For me? Oh I fully realize even my big 129" Yak could be electrified. Ummm, Not so much. I like the sound of a gas engine running. LOL

Don't know much about electric planes so I will keep this real brief. I have had a couple. But not like most guys. From what I have seen and learned and from the fellas that fly electric, they absolutely love the 73" to 92" planes. They adapt well to electric power and cost wise, not really any more expensive than a gas setup. When converting to gas, they are a breeze and such a clean setup because the plane has not been butchered up. My 33% SD Yak is living proof of that. It started as an electric but was never flown when I bought it. It immediately went to gas setup. But a word of insight only really. There is such a huge....HUGE difference between the power band of an electric setup and a gas setup. Electric power is "RIGHT NOW". Responsive and very precise. Not that gas is a slouch. But just a different kind of power. Most guys that fly electric rarely go to gas. At least here in my neck of the woods. Those that are true petrol burning addicts will never switch from gas to electric. If your ultimate goal is to go gas, You may want to consider just biting the bullet and going for it now. Any plane that is set up well and weight is watched, will fly very well. Whether electric or gas. It really comes down to what you really love and what you will be happy with. Along with your long term goals. For me? Oh I fully realize even my big 129" Yak could be electrified. Ummm, Not so much. I like the sound of a gas engine running. LOL

I have decided to go gas. The guys at my field convinced me last weekend. DA35 it will be. I love the sound of gas engine running!:)