• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Flap/Elevator mix a' la C/L Stunt

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Anyone ever try mixing flaps to elevator like control line stunters all do? My big Cap 232 is almost ready to fly and I split the ailerons so I'm playing with different options.

Right now the flaps are just about parked except in the third position of the switch which is 3D throws (I can't 3D to be honest but I flail around and nobody has been **** enough to call me out yet lol). I can mix the inboard panels with the elevator to get what might be an enhanced high rate for pitch.

Anybody ever try it? How's it work?

Thanks!

Last edited:

BalsaDust

I have never done it with any of my full fuse planes but I have with my profiles and it works well. The trick I have found is not to use to much flap. I started off trying a 100% mix between the do and found it did very little and after talking with a probro buddy he told me he runs less flaps so I backed it down to around 40% flap when the elevator is at full deflection. Also put it on a switch so I could disable the mix if I didn't want it.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Thanks Chris. I've been playing with mixes using OpenTX and I've always wanted to give this a try. Will probably have it set to activate as part of high rates with the other controls and go from there

Between OpenTX and the split ailerons there are like five things to do with the wings. good times. :)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I do it on some of my planes but agree with @BalsaDust do not put to much on the wing I will not deflect the flaps more than 18 degrees with the elevators I have fond all it does then is just slow the plane down. It’s great for make small and very tight loops but can be a little strange when landing. I will not land with it active.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The Hangar 9 Cap 232 I had many moons ago had an elevator flap mix that I set negative and positive both directions allowing both ailerons to go up like an air brake or down like flaps. When pulling up elevator while mix activated both ailerons would pop up. This allowed the plane to perform elevators with no forward travel of the plane. It would come straight down staying perfectly level "like an elevator". When flying inverted you could do the same thing. Push the elevator down and both ailerons would pop down allowing inverted elevators. Now I had a Futaba 9ZWC at the time and actually set all up using the "flight conditions" feature of that radio using an activated flaperon mix which was always on. The 3 position switch I assigned for "control conditions" put it in to action. Center switch position normal or off. Up switch position ailerons pop up with up elevator. Down switch position ailerons pop down with down elevator.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
interesting explanation from RCU

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/2506076-post4.html

the flaps being put out help keep the wing from stalling making very abrupt, very sharp corners possible. probably not much there to make things fun for the average RC guy although I like the part about the mix helping during landing as the planes slows. going to give it a try, may also try @49dimes mix at some point.