• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Giant Scale Twin engine planes

I am thinking about a winter project and keep coming back to a giant scale twin engine something or other. Warbird is the obvious idea but not against a civilian twin either. I am not finding much in the way of giant twin ARF manufacturers so if anyone has ideas on a manufacturer, I'm all ears!

I like the F7F but only if I can get it from other than ESM. Been there, refuse to be sucked in again.
As for how big, I'm not sure though REAL big is out of budget range I am sure. Definitely in the 80 to 100" range and I want to stick to two non-jet engines. I've already had three guys try to unload jet projects on me.....

I am reconsidering the esm F7 Tigercat. I talked to a couple guys who have them and they both bought the kit, tossed all the hardware and other control pieces and replaced them with good stuff and both love how the planes fly, both with 35cc engines saying they are a rocket but handle great.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
But you said you wouldn't get sucked in again!!! LOL
35CC!!!! its designed for 20cc engines WOW, seems like a little wing to add that much weight and wing loading.

I'd wait until I got the airframe to decide on the engine. There are some nice 26cc and 30cc engines that would work well also. I got "sucked in" again because I really like how the plane looks and how it apparently flies. I can deal with fixing the junk in the kit if that's what it takes to get into a twin. This RC thing has become an affliction!

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
This would be a really great winter project. Although I like the thought of a twin engine something, I am just not too keen on the Tigercat. A gent from the previous field I flew at had one and it was in my opinion the most ill handling and scariest landing plane I have ever seen. Perhaps it was just him. But that aside, if you kept the wing loading the same a 30 to 35cc engine really doesn't weigh that much more than a 20 or there abouts. I had an RCG 26 on a WWII DeWoitine. (Fighter made by the French, however was taken over by the Germans when they invaded France. Anyway, originally I had a Saito 125 up front. it flew good, but that 26 gasser was really the cats meow. Ran like a clock. And had more than enough power for that plane. Now if you did a Tiger with two of them, heck that would be something really nice. I have been kind of partial to the B25 Mitchell. I once had a Hangar 9 80" with twin Saito 72's up front. It was agile, fast, graceful and very predictable. I just needed to remember that those bomber type planes just don't land so well without flaps. The Tigercat is a beast to land without them also.

You could look at the Don Smith plans. Or there is also Bates plans available.
http://www.kitcutters.com/index.htm
http://precisioncutkits.com/

I ordered my 112" P51 from Precision Cut Kits about 6 years ago. One of the nicest kits I have ever seen. One of these days when I get tired of the Aerobatic planes....(Ha-yeah-riiiight) I am going to get motivated and start building it. I just keep looking at the price tag for the engine I want for it. The scale replica Rolls-Royce Merlin V-16. Dang that thing is a work of art. The price tag is too. LOL

I hope you do a build thread on whatever you decide. It would definitely be well worth watching.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I ordered my 112" P51 from Precision Cut Kits about 6 years ago. One of the nicest kits I have ever seen. One of these days when I get tired of the Aerobatic planes....(Ha-yeah-riiiight) I am going to get motivated and start building it. I just keep looking at the price tag for the engine I want for it. The scale replica Rolls-Royce Merlin V-16. Dang that thing is a work of art. The price tag is too. LOL

I hope you do a build thread on whatever you decide. It would definitely be well worth watching.

Build thread! Build thread!