1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
    Dismiss Notice

Glassing and Painting techniques

Discussion in 'Covering and Painting' started by Terryscustom, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Terryscustom

Terryscustom 640cc Uber Pimp

We have come across a subject of finishing materials and techniques that is really growing. This is awesome because of the number of paint and body professionals we have here n GSN combined with all the build threads and the renued excitement in building!

@tylerzx9r , @Dooinit , @Jetpainter , @lakerider8 , @iahawkflyer, @Huck Truck just to name a few painting professionals that we have here. I always thought paint and body guy's were into cars.....turns out airplanes are a good substitute!!

Post away!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    C-C-Carbon_Chemist and Wacobipe like this.
  2. Pistolera

Pistolera HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!

Glad to see this....lots to learn!

3. mndless

mndless Don't know a thing..

Terry... if you could take a step back and post the materials you use to make your molds... that would be a good item to have here as well. Good stuff !

4. Bunky.F.Knuckle

Bunky.F.Knuckle 150cc

When i lay fiberglass down on say a hatch, I'll soak up the excess rein with rolled toilet paper. Roll it on the glasswork, and then unravel until you get non soaked TP. I did that with my Carden, and used a filler primer, and then base coat clear coat.

5. Dooinit

Dooinit 70cc twin V2

Nice thread. I can prolly help a little here. I like learning a little too!

6. Terryscustom

Molds are pretty simple really. You need to prep your part, apply a mold release wax and finish of some sort (PVA), apply a tooling gelcoat (x2) and apply multiple layers of glass to build up the rigidity of the mold. There are other materials that make great molds such as tooling plaster (ultracal-30 is one). I'm abreviating a bit because it is a huge subject in itself, but I plan to keep experimenting with materials. I'll be doing some small cowl vents and other things in time and will show a little more detail at that time. It's a fun subject to play with and experiment with.

7. Terryscustom

Do you thin your resin at all Bunky? I had a hell of a time on my first couple of builds and then I was told to thin the resin 50:50 or slightly less with alcohol and that made it an absolute dream to glass canopy decks. It goes on so thin, there is literally nothing to blot off and the glass lays down very thin.

This is how we kinda got started on this subject. @Jetpainter is working on a project that will be painted and I am looking at doing a fully sheeted build that will be painted as well. We are experimenting with a few different types of fillers to fill the weave of the fabric to prep for painting with the least amount of weight and work.

Here are a couple pics of mine that I did with drywall compound after glassing. A test patch of primer shows a completely flat surface with no weave ghosting through. Jetpainter is working on some test panels as well. After seeing what we have so far I'm looking more forward to this than ever!!

Attached Files:

8. Pistolera

Pistolera HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!

I'd love to read a good primer on painting....specifically base-coat/clear-cote systems and required equipment. The closer I get to final prep on my Krill the more I've been thinking about doing the paint myself. Other than a small airbrush I have NO painting equipment. Maybe this should be a separate thread???

9. 3Dchief

3Dchief 70cc twin V2

This is awesome, can we "sticky" the three individually? Glassing, painting, and covering. Each is really its own topic.

10. Dooinit

Dooinit 70cc twin V2

What resin wher you using? The zpoxy finishing resin is thin and easy to use. Minwax polyurethane is super thin. I used both methods on my thunderbolt. The resin has a more durable finish and more resistant to denying the balsa. The minwax is way quicker and easier to get applied. I am sure it is lighter too. Hangar 9 has a 1/2 ounce cloth that is nice to work with as well.