• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Gluing Robart Hinges

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Hey Fella's,
So a friend of mine wants to use thick CA to glue some Robart Hinges on his plane. How bad would it be if he did? I've always used epoxy or Gorilla Glue so I don't know.

Thanks much...

thepamster

70cc twin V2
I have never heard of that before. Thick CA is more of a gap filling glue. I wouldn't trust CA glue to securely attach Robart hinges. I would only use epoxy, though I have heard others use Gorilla Glue.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Yeah I wouldn't trust it either, just wanted to see if anyone has ever done it and what happen or what the outcome was anyway. Did they hold and for how long. Just don't think they would last is all.

JAG

70cc twin V2
Gorilla Glue worked great on some I repaired. From what I have read, I would not use CA.

capthis

70cc twin V2
Wet the hole, and glue with Gorilla Glue.....

CA on hinges would be a disaster I think. While it might hold good luck getting everything lined up right before it started to set up even with thick. My luck I'd have 1.5" hinge gaps.

I have heard of folks using canopy glue with good success but I have not tried that as the GG works so well!

BalsaDust

I have heard other people say tightbond but then I have heard others so it doesn't hold plastic very well.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Hysol is another good one. Either that or good ol' epoxy, gorilla glue..etc. I've heard of people using CA with good results but I'd prefer to stick with whats generally recommended.

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Test it for yourself. If I remember correctly Robart even use to put it on there instructions. I have even used it on flat hinges such as Klett and dubro. See the picture with my post. We have about 12K invested into that plane and all the hinges are put in with titebond ( aliphatic resin).

Make sure to clean them in warm soapy water

sensei

30cc
Tightbond or Gorilla glue is what I use as well, the tightbond is much easier to clean up but either one add moisture to the hole, and when it does the wood swell around the barbs on the hinge, I pull tested a couple of them glued in this way about 15 years ago, when I exceeded 50 lbs. of load, the metal pin began pulling through the plastic but the hinge never moved. One of my flying buddies and I cut an installed hinge pin right down the middle and that revealed how well the wood had swelled around the barbs. NOTE: in either application of adhesive, the proper hole size is essential, when I do install these using Gorilla glue I first use a Q-tip dipped in water and slosh every hole prior to gluing the hinges in. As Al already stated, I do clean my hinges in warm soapy water prior to installation.

Bob