• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GP 123

I started my new GP123 today. Started the needles per the manual H: 1 1/2 L: 1 3/4. Engine started with no issues. Set the high needle for max rpm at full throttle, turned the needle maybe an 1/8th clockwise. From a high idle, @2400 rpm transition is good. If I have the idle @ 1700-1800 rpm the engine dies as soon as I rapidly increase the throttle to full stick. Tried turning the low needle counter clockwise to richen it. At incrememnts of about 1/16th of a turn at a time i saw no improvement. I made it out to 2 3/4 and then the motor would not restart. Set back to 1/3/4 and started to slowly lean the engine but it would still die when I tried to transition.

Pull the carb apart and clean it.

Yes, I realize it is new, and shouldnt need taken apart. But I sent a BME 116 in for service for poor running. Tom went thru it, and however it was better, still wasnt perfect. I tried everything except cleaning the carb at the field. Came home and cleaned it. Bingo! It was the best that engine ever ran. Then it ate a cylinder 6 flights later. Sent it back in then sold it.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I recently had a new engine with a similar issue. It was a DLE120 I did not waste the time cleaning and VVRC waranteed me a new one and in a few days it was running perfect. I would take bunkey's advice with this one got something funky in there.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I finally put a tach on my engine today and checked the rpm; did not measure thrust at this time.

GP123; 6720 rpm with Falcon 28X10 Carbon Fiber, measured on the ground

Stock GP exhaust
approx 6.1 gallons of fuel thru engine and 9:48 hours run time
708 feet ASL
Air temp 88F
93 octane pump gas with Redline Racing @ 40:1
Idle rpm set at 1300
Idle-up is 2300 rpm

Engine is tuned reasonable well; could probably get another couple hundred rpm's on the top end if I leaned it out to the edge. Runs too good right now. Very reliable and makes plenty of power.

I have a set of the GP123 headers coming from AVIATORPLUSRC.COM and a set of KS cans to put on. I also ordered a Biela 26X12X3. As I make the prop and exhaust changes I'll get additional rpm and thrust measurements to see what the changes are. I only have an iPhone app but I'll try to remember and get some db measurements as well.