• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN IMAC Lite Format...Ideas??

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi folks,

I was talking with former IMAC Pres. Wayne Matthews at Joe Nall a few weeks ago and asked how practical it might be to draw up a competitive precision acro format that could be administered at fun-grade flying events as an intro or fun contest format.

We discussed it a little and I've been keeping it in the back of my mind to ask you guys for input as to how we could make something that could be applied by local clubs where maybe larger IMAC events aren't available. There's an EMAC thread going so that reminded me to ask about this IMAC Lite concept.

The idea also came about from talking to @Pistolera who shared with me that a typical IMAC weekend is three days (!!!) and I just don't have that kind of time at this point in my life but if I could pack up and do a day trip somewhere and maybe fly once or twice, I'd be a very happy camper.

I don't even know where to start, what are some baseline ideas to keep in place from larger IMAC events and what can be tossed to make the single day, maximum fun, format workable?

Does anyone feel like moderating this discussion once it gets going so we can try to make something of it that can be applied elsewhere?

Thanks in advance, this should be interesting!

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I was just thinking (warning, when you hear me say that you should begin to walk away at a brisk pace), a good idea might be to have fixed callers, people that will talk the pilots through the maneuvers, maybe for the bottom level so that even someone without any prior IMAC experience but with some flying skills can show up and have a go at it. I'd imagine a call for pilots to say something like, no prior experience necessary, just bring a plane and a bag lunch and be prepared to have fun.

By the way, I've never been to an IMAC event so if I say something that IMAC already does just point it out and I'll apologize and show proper respect to the IMAC powers-that-be. I have been to a handful of IAC events so I'd guess there are some similarities.

Knowns only, would be another idea so we could maybe publish our own knowns for a given year or just piggyback off of the IMAC knowns, or use them but pare them down a little?

Maybe also allow for one maneuver to be reflown in a given flight so that is one element is completely botched the pilot can circle around and do a repeat of that element at the end of the flight to improve their score without having to wait for another round that may or may not happen. You're saying, but it's easy to do a loop if you're only doing a loop, ok then make the pilot do the preceding element before the repeat element so it's more realistic?

I'll keep puking out ideas as they come up, trying to see if there's a format out there that we can come up with so us overworked but still-too-ambitious-for-our-own-good types can participate in closer to home to pretend we're like @Pistolera and the rest of you talented people.

@Pistolera is very talented but don't tell him too much he would get a big head.

In the north east Steve Stanton has really pushed the one day basic only contest and it is a fantastic idea and was a ton of fun and there "seemed" to be huge interest but as usual there was horrible attendance! It was a bit sad but there were 4 pilots. I would love to see a much larger crowd. It is exactly what you are talking about. A one day quick contest and had set callers.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
If it could be made to work it would get more people involved in IMAC, but like Matt said there is always seems to be a big difference in the interest and the attendance. But, Rome wasn't built in a day and it takes a few tries to get things off the ground.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i'm not thinking so much about dedicated events for these contests but more like offering a format that can be used within a larger two or three day event. if people want to do the legwork to make it a special day event then they can do that too.

hell, even the judges can be picked locally and put to work on the spot with a minimum of training. give them the basics, let them see a few elements as flown by a more experienced pilot and then let the fuel burn! it doesn't have to be perfect, just fun enough to leave everyone feeling like the weekend warriors we are!

I think from time to time about having IMAC contests for just a couple classes so they can be squeezed into a day. Like a just Advanced and Unlimited contest and everybody could still stay over and just have fun on Sundays til it's time to ride home.But, what do I know... I'm delirious from standing in the sun getting beat by Capt Jack all day :lol2:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
OK....back home after a ONE-DAY contest (due to weather). Of course this was a regularly scheduled 2-day contest (Sat & Sun). When I told Bart many typically use 3 days....I was including Friday as a practice day at the site, which many take advantage of.....although some just drive to the site early on Sat.....and we all leave Sunday afternoon.

However, we did fly a contest in ONE day......two rounds of knowns (2 sequences each round) and one round of unknowns.....all on Saturday. If this would have been advertised ahead of time as a one-day contest, it would have been exactly the same. There were 7 basic, 2 sportsman, 6 intermediate, 2 advanced and 2 unlimiteds flying. Pilot's briefing was at 8 am, but due to low ceilings we didn't get flying until about 9:30. The last of the unknowns were done by about 4:30 - 5pm. Even folks who had 2 hr drives could make that work.

All flights were judged and scored per IMAC rules and criteria. This is how it should be for any event, even a one-day format that is being discussed here. As far as judging, in my opinion you can't just have folks watch some experienced pilot and stick them in a chair to judge flights.....it won't work and will generate a lot of negative opinions. Judging is and always has been a topic of discussion....as in anything where human interpretation of criteria and standards exist.

Sequences should use the current published IMAC knowns and unknowns......they are already available and easy to obtain. No need to re-invent the wheels....and good sequences are not exactly easy to come up with.....especially in the upper classes.

I think published one-day contests could be another stepping stone to get folks to try IMAC that otherwise are unwilling to devote an entire weekend to. If this is the primary goal, then I'm all for it.....but it has to have the standards and rules of a normal IMAC contest to really work.
Another incentive is for IMAC "regulars" (like me)....who already attend many weekend contests, might fit s one-day event into their calendar between normal 2-day contests already scheduled.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
thanks for the input Earle,

here's another idea, limited attendees, maybe 4 sportsman, 4 intermediate, 3 advanced, 3 unlimited.....in order to have a better chance of making a day event work. or if the categories are limited, 8 basic, 8 sportsman for a one day.....

don't know what the right answer is but i appreciate the feedback. i get the feeling though that if you stick to tightly to too many IMAC rules then it will restrict what you can do. the goal is to have fun, not accumulate points for the year or work on national recognition. hell, even a doughnut drop can be fun and get competitive, we're just replacing the doughnuts with a few precision acro elements and trying to have just as much fun.