• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D H9 1/3 Cap 232 - Blast from the past!!!

ok guys,

Some of you have seen some pics of this assembly in general discussion, I figured I'd contribute to the forum and add a build thread. I'm a CAP lover so here I am, building an old school CAP with current gen hardware. Most of the assembly is complete. I got the spinner today. I intend to complete the canopy today and will begin to test the CG so I can permanently install batteries and complete the install.

Engine placement looks close to spot on, based on spinner to cowl clearance. I'm pretty happy with the 3-blade prop clearances as well.

BTW- not sure why the first pic always gets posted twice, and some repeats in the bottom. I added only one copy of each. I'll submit a bug report to the team to look at it.

sc
FullSizeRender[4].jpg
FullSizeRender[3].jpg
FullSizeRender[4].jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender(18).jpg
FullSizeRender[4].jpg
FullSizeRender[4].jpg
FullSizeRender[3].jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
was that an unbuilt ARF that you started with or did you buy it from someone and just put your stuff in it?

that's a DA-100? wingspan?

I bought it before I started having kids, it took a backseat to wedding. When my wife was pregnant with my first child, she's 8 now, I stopped flying completely and kept it in the box in the garage. So I've been waiting to put it together for a long time, close to 10 years. There is some ironing I've had to do, the cowl has a couple superficial cracks, but all in all, it's new. 97". Originally designed for the GT80, this DA is about 1lbs lighter and incredibly more powerful. Throttle management will be key. My hope is that my investment will be protected and can reuse a lot of the hardware in a current gen arf when the time comes. For now, I want to enjoy the CAP for as long as it stays together. :)

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I had one with a 3W-85B2. Built a canister tunnel in to it for the MTW cans and Johnson headers. Menz 27x10 prop.
Same performance as the" brand new" DA 100 back then. It was 26 lbs 10oz. One of the best flying Caps ever. Futaba guidance (9ZAP) JR 8311's all around. Lost it to a suspect receiver crystal. Nothing left... it went straight in wot to asphalt. I was finding servo gears over 200 feet from ground zero. Not a one of 9 servos was left intact. I quit giant scale gassers for several years after that crash. The year it crashed was 2006.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
VERY nice job of cutting that cowl!!!!!!! Nothing I hate worse than a jacked up cowl. That plane is going to be an absolute monster. H9 has had some really cool planes over the years, it would be cool if they would dig a few of them out, revamp them a bit and re-release things like this CAP.

terry, the cowl took a couple hours of trial and grind, trial and grind trial and grind. And a lot of sanding of the edges to make it clean. I think I need to cut a hole for the carb to breath.

That was the first giant scale in our area. Thought we were in heaven flying it. ZDZ 80 for power. When we picked up the planes at the lhs we were amazed at the size of the boxes. Up until this Cap all we flew were quarter scalers. Still a great looking plane. Have fun.

I'm trying to live the dream Hoosier, it's taken me a while. I'm certainly excited. I was in awe when I originally brought it home, I think the impression it left on me was the reason I could never let it go. We moved a couple time too.