• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help choosing a Motrofly motor

Hey Guys, wondering if anyone out there could help me with choosing a Motrofly motor for my 48" 3DHS Edge, flying with 3s 2200mah lipos.
According to the specs, the 2820-950 seems to be the perfect match, and what I'm leaning towards, but I've read posts from others over at RCG that some are using the 2815 with success. Just curious as to what performance differences I might see between the 2.
Also curious as to what amp esc I'd need with either of them also.

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

im using the 2815 with an Ice lite 50 swinging a 13x6.5. on the bench is pulls about 42 amps @ 509 watts. i really like my Motorflys. from what ive read most are using the 2815 in buck 50 edges.

SnowDog

Hey Guys, wondering if anyone out there could help me with choosing a Motrofly motor for my 48" 3DHS Edge, flying with 3s 2200mah lipos.
According to the specs, the 2820-950 seems to be the perfect match, and what I'm leaning towards, but I've read posts from others over at RCG that some are using the 2815 with success. Just curious as to what performance differences I might see between the 2.
Also curious as to what amp esc I'd need with either of them also.

The definitive source for Motrolfly specs is here: http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html

The DM2815-950 is for 3D planes up to 50oz and intended for use with 3S lipos. (500W power system)
The DM2820-950 is for 3D planes up to 60oz and intended for use with 4S lipos. (800W power system)

The DM2815-950 is 123g and is matched with a 45amp esc if you buy the combo from Ken at Subsonic.
The DM2820-950 is 152g and is matched with a 60amp esc if you buy the combo from Ken at Subsonic.

If you are using a 3S power system, you will want to use the DM2815-950 power system and a 45amp esc.

Motrolfly motors rock....and Ken provides gold level customer support for everyone...I have them in all my electric planes.

Hope this helps.

wedoitall

yea Ken's customer service is top notch.

seems like some of the folks that have tried 4s on the buck 50 all went back to 3s on that plane, from what ive read.

Thanks guys...ordered up a 2815-950 from Subsonic. Ordered a ZTW LP 45 from Altitude hobbies. I've got both an APC 13X6.5 composite prop & a Xoar 13X6.5 beechwood prop to try out on it. After re reading the specs on both motors I realized that approximately 800 watts would be a handful on this airframe and it didn't weigh as much as I originally thought. Thanks for the input, I'll let you know how it works out.