• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Inconsistent color on monokote ruins my plane

bobzilla

70cc twin V2
I bought 2 rolls of TopFlight monokote last month and recovered my 33% Yak.

Ordered from Tower: LXHV19 Top Flite MonoKote Missile Red 6' In stock, shipping 2

When I get the plane covered and out into the sun, I see huge color difference between the 2 rolls. Most evident on the wings as you can't really compare the sides too easily. Is there no consistency anymore with Topflight coverings. Am I the only one who has had this happen to? Left wing is more orange!
Should I ask for my money back from Tower?

monokote crap.jpg

recoveredyak2-550.jpg

-Rick-

100cc
I would be saying something. I can really see the difference in the pic's so in the sun it would be really obvious. Looks like they missed a touch of blue in a batch.

bobzilla

70cc twin V2
I would be saying something. I can really see the difference in the pic's so in the sun it would be really obvious. Looks like they missed a touch of blue in a batch.

I sent Tower a letter asking for my money back on covering. How would you feel if you took your car in for a paint job, and the hood color different color than the trunk!. When doing the covering inside with incandescent light, you don't see the difference.

-Rick-

100cc
I sent Tower a letter asking for my money back on covering. How would you feel if you took your car in for a paint job, and the hood color different color than the trunk!. When doing the covering inside with incandescent light, you don't see the difference.

Understood, after the work you have done to recover I'd be pissed to! And very right about not being able to see the difference under incandescent lighting. When you put it on you count on it matching even if the lighting is poor. It is expected to match when you buy it. I have to order some white, should I have to take it outside to see if it matches?!!?! Don't think so!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I can't tell anything from the pictures regarding color difference, but all I have to say is the airplane looks fantastic regardless!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
aren't there batch numbers on the packaging? sucks though, sorry to hear it. the second picture is less obvious, maybe the sun will fade them to match better? :(

bobzilla

70cc twin V2
Thx for kudos guys. I am anxious to hear what Tower says. I did not want to buy a $60 25' roll just to cover a plane and have 80% left over of the roll. I have never seen a batch number on rolls.

I've seen it the other way. Under incandescent lighting, color is off. This was 20 years ago with Metallic Red. Which is 1 reason why I won't use Red covering. Way too easy to screw up colors.

I see it being a shade lighter. Leave the right wing in the sun more than the left. It'll match eventually. :)