• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

JR 9503, Programming a Mix

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Is there anyone here that understands how to program a mix in a JR 9503 radio?

I've got a build going where there will be four servos in the wings on four separate channels, one per aileron and one per flap. Before I commit to a new receiver I'd like to see if the flaps and ailerons can be set up via a mix so the ailerons will extend partially as flaps when the flaps deploy. It doesn't have to be much but I'd like it to be there nonetheless.

If someone could help me to figure this out I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Bart

M

Matt

I have a 9503 and I set it up on an ultra stick I'll have to dig through the programming to figure it all out for sure... I will pm you once I get it figured out might be a day or two though.. However it can be done

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Thanks @Matt !

I was looking at the options last night but don't see how to mix flaps with the individual aileron servos so they'll both extend down as the flaps are lowered. i'd imagine mixing with the aileron function will just make the ailerons extend a little left or a little right.

M

Matt

It's been a while since I flew the ultra stick but it has flaps that act as ailerons, and I do crow with it as well... I just have to remember I know it involved a couple program mixes

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Cant help you with the 9503 but you may try some mixes using FPR for flaperons or setting up a mix for ailerons to flaps and you just set up a max value.

I did this with a Hempel cub before but one thing that you will notice is that when you have the outer tips of the ailerons functioning as flaps there are some strange yaw effects that take effect especially at slow speeds. I did some testing at elevation with high maybe 35 degrees of aileron flaps and a slow speed and it actually made the plane roll over with yaw! It was a clipped wing but just gives you an idea. What you are talking about doing with the ailerons may cause more issues than its worth since you have a pretty flat bottom airfoil that will lift hard and you have huge flaps that will be highly functional.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
what i'm talking about is maybe ten degrees or so of additional flaps for really slow passes, maybe like I'm trying to show off something about the plane ;)

with slow speeds it's critical that aileron inputs be coupled with rudder to keep the plane pointed straight. at high angles of attack and slower speeds, additional aileron deflection will actually make a low wing condition worse making the plane appear to tip stall. in full scale when you're doing power on stalls it's almost all rudder keeping things together and minimal aileron. with ailerons deflected to 35 degrees and the plane near stall, it's possible the extra aileron input you might have been using was putting the airfoil beyond its stall angle of attack.

more than anything i'd like to have the functionality available for playing around. if it proves to be a functional thing then that's bonus. there's a bush plane mod for Super Cubs that does the full span flaps trick by drooping the ailerons. it's lift that's free for the taking so it's just something fun I'd like to try. just need to learn mixing with the 9503, maybe Yoda's available this evening to help me unlock my full potential.

M

Matt

Much like the older kitfox would do... They drooped the ailerons to act as flaps... Not that they were very useful as flaps, in fact most people with the kitfox model IV and earlier never even used them. However I get what you are going for and I am not sure I have the proper mixes in mine to do that... I just have the flaps coupled to ailerons

50cc
Been some time but i called horizon and they faxed the info to set up the 9303 for full work out on ultra stick. May be worth a try.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I called Horizon today and the wait time was over an hour. :(

will have to try again tomorrow.