• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

My first attempt at a quadcopter and FPV

Super08

70cc twin V2
Here are the pictures from my Phantom 2 assembly last night. Nothing like spending a bunch of money on something and then ripping it open before you turn on the power for the first time. I bought the Phantom 2 with a 3D-H3 gimbal assembly to mount a Hero 3+ onto. Then I bought all the stuff to use FPV so you can see what you are filming and see where you are going. That was a video transmitter, a receiver/HDTV monitor, antennas, iOSD, and a mount for the monitor. I am not fussy about the mount but it will do for now. Assembly involved opening up the Phantom and installing the circuit board for the gimbal. Then you run the wide flat grey ribbon wire up from the gimbal you mounted to the little circuit board and then another ribbon wire from the board to the main controller board. Next I removed the canbus port from it's factory location on the landing gear and mounted it to the main board on the opposite side from where I mounted the filter board for the gimbal. Then you plug the small grey ribbon wire back into the canbus port and plug the iOSD (little black box) into the canbus port. It was then stuck to the inside with some double sided foam mounting tape. Next up you mount the cloverleaf antenna to the video transmitter and plug the wiring harness into it as well as the power wires. Then you mount the transmitter to the bottom of the Phantom. The two cables are run up inside the Phantom. The harness gets plugged into the main controller board as well as into the iOSD. So what happens is the video feed comes from the Hero into the gimbal, then up through the filter board and into the main board. The video feed is separated from the main board where it is sent to the iOSD where the flight data is overlaid on top of the video feed. Then the feed exits the iOSD and is send to the video transmitter. Capish?
The attitude line works like an artificial horizon in a gyro. The line tilts left or right with bank angle and moves upward or downward with nose up or down attitude.

image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
image4.JPG
View attachment 14541

Attachments

• image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 547
  • pstam-phantom2-iosd-mini-display.jpg
    pstam-phantom2-iosd-mini-display.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 631

Mikeq

150cc
Were you able to get some flights and if so what's your opinion? Was it worth the money? I have been looking at the Phantom Vision 2 with FPV already installed but with all this FAA regulation crap going on I decided to wait till the dust settles...you guys up in Canada get regulated with quads?

Super08

70cc twin V2
I have had it out once so far. Here is the video of my first flight. As for regulations they have clamped down hard on commercial use and it requires a licence. For recreational use it is still pretty good, but I don't know for how long. We are restricted from flying within a city and over crowds of people as well as within 5 miles of an airport. Also a 400' ceiling is imposed. The only licence you require is a radio licence if you are using a FPV transmitter. The all in one packages like the Vision Plus does not require anything. It is the ones that miss use them that will ruin it for everybody.

Mikeq

150cc
Sounds like your situation is similar to ours...beautiful aerial photography of your countryside. I wanted one to take on our motorcycle trips and get some video of some of the scenic places we've been and plan on returning to. May still do it and make sure we are in remote locations far away from people, cities and airports... I did want to take one to Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse to get a close up of the of the sculptures but now that would be a quick way to the jailhouse..LOL

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
It is awful quiet and cold in here....... @Mikeq @Super08 have not heard from you two in a while. From the time stamp on post #5 I had just received the extra 330. It is just now completed.......o_O.

Strolled down here for the first time and caught this thread......I just received a hex-copter kit and flight controller and the motors and ESC's should be here in a day or two. I am building mine from the ground up. Will have a brushless gimbal too but I want an opinion as to if a 3 axis is really any better than a 2 axis. I can get a Tarot 2 axis brushless with controller for a really good price and the 3 axis I have found to be quite costly. I can have it ready for videos and pics with a Mobius wide angle for a very reasonable price. I bought an el cheapo hex (toy grade) to practice with and now I think I'm hooked on these damn things. I mainly got it to video 3D action at my local club and fly ins.

PS......Super Tramp sound track was a nice touch;).

Super08

70cc twin V2
I sold the Phantom and moved on to the Inspire 1 shortly after posting this. I used the Inspire all year and decided that it wasn't for me. I just sold it last month.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I sold the Phantom and moved on to the Inspire 1 shortly after posting this. I used the Inspire all year and decided that it wasn't for me. I just sold it last month.

Good to know then.....Did the Inspire have a 3 axis gimbal? and did you like it for the time you did have it?

Super08

70cc twin V2
The Inspire is far and above what the Phantom was. Yes it comes with a 3D gimbal had HD camera.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Took a peak at the inspire and it is quite the machine. The 2 axis will have to do for me. Don't want to sink in to this what could by an engine. Thanks for the responses.