• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 40% 330 Recover and Build

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So it seems it is once again time to do another Recover/Restore project. Oh you all know how much I just enjoy taking something good and making it "my" own. Well such is the case with the newest addition to my ever growing fleet of less than small planes. I just can't help myself. A good deal comes along and I am so beyond help, I just can't resist. This time however, the airframe is actually something that I have been wanting for some time. And in "very" good condition. I just don't care for the scheme all that much. So during this winter, besides doing the Velox build for my friend I will also be stripping this bird down to the bones and recovering it.

I have slowly been gathering goodies along the way and nearly have my list complete. I also ran across a "smoking too good to pass up barn storming" deal. I don't plan to make this a quick cover/build. I have plenty of time before spring so I will be seriously taking my time on this one. There is still much to be considered. Scheme, servo choice, radio choice....along with other things.

First, the project:
2017-10-12%2010.33.55.jpg 2017-10-12%2010.34.27.jpg 2017-10-12%2010.46.59.jpg 2017-10-12%2010.47.15.jpg
As you all can already guess, It is a 122" 40% Pilot 330SC. I really don't mind buying a "used" airframe as long as it is not all busted up and it is something I have been wanting. Thinking back to the Behemoth Yak (1), I had thought I would never buy another used airframe. But it all turned out pretty good with that restore. Alas, she is still standing in the corner from her latest visit with mother earth in a less than appropriate fashion. My very first 40 center and very first restore was Baby, (SD 260) and after five years together, we still have a love affair that nothing will separate us. I still plan to get the replacement wood from Tony to rebuild the Yak and more than likely give it to my friend Aaron. But for now, I have my new Behemoth Yak (2) to keep me going in that department.

I figured since this 330 is in such nearly new condition, "Why not"? Right? I am planning a change up in the way I have been doing things. Not that I have had any issues and certainly my setups have been very good. I just want to do something different this time. Probably looking at a DX20 for guidance and control. Perhaps MKS or Savox for control surface muscles. And since I won't need a Smart Fly board, my setup will be considerably more simplified. Also planning on going straight Lipo for juicing them servos up. I will no doubt however still be outfitting it with TDRC goodies. Tank, wiring harnesses.... and such.

And now... the "smoking too good to pass up barn storming" deal. I ran across a very nice gentleman that had gotten out of the hobby about 8-9 years ago. He still has two brand new airframes that have never been touched. Along with them, he also "HAD" two brand new "red headed dubs". I say "HAD" because I bought both of them today. The 170cs will go in the 330, the 110cs will go in a future to be decided on project.
170CS"
29236.jpeg

110CS:
29232.jpeg
Not really sure what I will do with this one. But, Oh I will figure something out. LOL

So here we go again fellas. I probably won't get a chance to post anything further until this weekend. But at least a little teaser of what is yet to come.

Last edited:

BalsaDust

Looking forward to watching another one come together from you. Might I suggest for the 110 to scratch build a big ass profile around it. I have been wanting to do a 100cc twin sized slab for quite some time but funds are always the issue. Heck we can talk about what you want and I could draw something up in CAD for you if you would like.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I so agree and the thing is, this sickness spreads like wildfire and there is no cure. It must be fed!
And it feels oh so good to be fed by gorgeous red heads! ;-)

Looking forward to watching another one come together from you. Might I suggest for the 110 to scratch build a big ass profile around it. I have been wanting to do a 100cc twin sized slab for quite some time but funds are always the issue. Heck we can talk about what you want and I could draw something up in CAD for you if you would like.
Hmmm..... anything is possible at this point. Lol

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I can imagine a slab that size would take around 35 rolls of covering and that would just cover the wings. :big-grin: