• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

RCGF 120

Fresh in from the truck at TailDragger RC! New line up of engines. Got a hook up on a RCGF 120. Now, the RCGF was not very well followed in years past, very much like the plaguing issue of the old Blue dot 3W ignition.

Chad approached me with the concern of the RCGF line of engines. Told him what I thought, etc.... He says..... Ummmm, too late. I became a distributor for them! I said, well....... If the QC has turned around, and the power is comprable to what we have currently to the DA/DLE/3W line of engines.. It will be fine.

What sold me to buy one was watching him fly his AJ 105" Laser 230Z. He put a Falcon 29x9 on it, and it was still a rocketship! Instantly, mind blown! So, I sends Chad and Tash a note, saying to order me one, since Im a team pilot. Ok, 2 weeks later or close to it, shipping notification from TDRC! Blam! My RCGF 120 is coming! Sho nuf!

First thoughts...... Packaged nicely, they even included 2 JR E Switches for me. Awful nice of them to do that for me. ;) Those switches are for my 93" AJ Laser 230Z. Fully CNC machined case. DLE/EME styled cylinders with large transfer ports. An ignition system capable of 8.4V. Thin, tinny sounding mufflers. I will use those until they arent usable any longer. Then you have you hardware baggies, screws, plugs (file 13 bound), exhaust gaskets, servo end keepers, spiral wrapping.

Mounting and such......

One peeve of mine is from 1 manufacture to another. Please keep the engine mounting holes the same size. It will allow us to swap engines with our buddies to try what they think the best is and vise versa. I opted not to drill out the mounting backplate on the engine, but to change out my blind nuts. But, this was 6 one, half a dozen another. Broad as it is long type deal. I needed another 1/2" length of bolt, so off to Lowes I goes. Couldnt find what I wanted/needed..... Then the area helper/expert showed up. He found me some screws. Dont need brass, scooter! Need a grade 5 screw or so. Machine style preferred. So, got whay I needed there. Used so.e of my old custom standoffs, and coupled them with the ones that come from the factory. Almost perfect spinner gap, its actually about 1/8" more gap than I like. Not gonna fuss about that. Screws have to last me til Tuesday, when I go back to work and "borrow" some 10/32x2 1/2" Grade 9s.

Throttle arm is a must! I would really like to see a carb arm included with the 120cc engines, regardless of brand. So, I will have to manufacture one of my own until I can get an arm for a WJ71 carb. Broke off that little spring loaded return latch on the choke, and removed the idle stop screw. Then you have to rotate the carb inlet nipple around, it faces FWD when shipped. Be cautious of this, as you "could" damage it. I just took a pair of duck bill pliers, and rotated the nipple in its housing. Put it right where I wanted it.

But, I have the engine mounted and prepped for exhaust and carb arm. Once I get that going, genuine NGK CM6 plugs go in, and the cowl on.

Prop choice.....

I have 4 props available to me. All work great of the 120cc engines. Falcon 27x11, 28x9W, 28x9.5 and 29x9. I think I may start with the 28x9W, as that is the prop that has my bolts in it currently.

Lets see how it all goes in a 2-3 days!

Attachments

• 20160526_181248.jpg
    20160526_181248.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 681
  • 20160526_181346.jpg
    20160526_181346.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 503
  • 20160526_181424.jpg
    20160526_181424.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 544
  • 20160526_181447.jpg
    20160526_181447.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 551
  • 20160526_181504.jpg
    20160526_181504.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 559
  • 20160526_181614.jpg
    20160526_181614.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 483
  • 20160526_181649.jpg
    20160526_181649.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 499
Just want to reitterate..... The peeves and musts are of my own wants. I'd like to see RCGF put the case halves together and do a final finish cut over the entire engine. But that is the machinist in me saying that. The case is beautiful, as it stands! :)

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have several of their engines, the latest being the 60cc twin. In my opinion the quality has improved over the years with exception being the plugs, I don't understand why they even put them in the box. Even the ignition has improved to accommodate higher voltages.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I was just a little envious last week. But "HA"! Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Doo do do...!! Thanks Chris for the insight and over all looksie. I am more anxious now than I was last week. I do see what you mean now about the case halves. Yes, it would be awesome if they assembled the halves and did one more final cut on the machining work. But hey, maybe they will get to it later on huh?

Regarding the fuel inlet nipple.... Just a gentle 180 degree swing around is all that is needed? Do you think it matters the direction of rotation? It's just brass pressed into the carb body correct?

I am hoping the throttle arms I ordered from Vital will show up no later than Saturday. At least one will do. If that don't happen, I may be forced to dream up a workaround until they do.

As for prop choices... I would like to hear your remarks regarding the options you have. Since I still have two new Falcon 28x10's, that will be my choice to start off with. Wait a darned minute. That is the "ONLY" choice I have at this time. LOL

Hey... this is not fair. I just checked tracking and according to UPS, it was in Heyburn, Id this afternoon. Why can't they just drive the remaining 140 miles and hand deliver it to me "TONIGHT"? :msn_slap:

Last edited: