• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

RedwingRC Pin and Flag with Hidden Dual Battery Redundancy Switch!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Battery_hidden_Pin_flag_switch_02.jpgThis is one cool switch. It offers complete dual battery balancing and redundancy with an ultra-small footprint. The new intelligent redundant battery balancing switch also works as a safety that prevents the connected components from receiving power until the pin flag is removed.

This switch works with any single or dual battery system and is compatible with battery voltage range from 2.5v to 28v. It comes with a Pin Flag and Ultra Bright Blue LED which can be mounted discretely on your scale model. The Pin Flag controls the internally mounted switch and battery redundancy circuit. The result - beautiful scale appearance with dual battery redundancy peace of mind.

This new balancing technology offers battery balancing with zero voltage drop and redundancy which means it can handle huge loads without generating heat. This also means your receiver and servos get all the power unlike conventional battery balancing which loses precious power as heat.

Price: $41.45

Link: http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_7&products_id=488

Details:

Package Includes:
-1 x Pin Flag switch with mounting hardware.
-1 x Ultra Bright Blue LED with mounting hardware.
-1 x Dual Battery Balancing power switch circuit.
-2 x sets of Input and Output connectors of your choice.

Specs:
-Ultra low footprint for the best scale looks.
-Works with single or dual battery configuration.
-Works with all battery chemistries. LiFe. LiPo, Lion, NiMh, NiCD. Battery voltage range can be from 2.5volts to 28 volts.
-Capable of handling input voltages up to 28volts.
-Minimal external footprint - All you see on the outside of your model is a 3mm Pin Flag socket and (if required) an ultra-high bright Blue LED. The Pin Flag controls the internal power switch and dual battery redundancy.

More pics!

DSC03853.jpg DSC03843.jpg DSC03851.jpg

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
[MENTION=2470]RedwingRC[/MENTION] See above questions.

AKnick it looks similiar but if you notice the RedwingRC version has all of the electronics nicely covered and protected where as the Boomarc does not.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
If it's not a Booma then it could be a knockoff, here is a Booma switch with ultra plugs.

Booma-Hidden-Dual-Battery-Redundancy-Switch-with-Pin-Flag.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
So is this the Booma RC version? Or?
http://www.boomarc.com/en/hidden-balance-switch-with-pin-flag

Would this work as a battery redundancy for Ign & Rx for smaller 30cc planes? Or is that a no no and will cause interference?

As the description does not make any statements about having any kind of noise isolation built into it for ignition I'd say it depends on how you get power to your ignition. If you are using a standard opto-kill switch that is designed to hook directly to a battery you should NOT have it in the same battery circuit with your rx regardless of what kind of switch or battery balancing tech you are using. An IBEC that supplies power to the ignition directly from the rx bus has interference elimination circuitry built into it and is safe in this situation. I am using an RCEXL IBEC that looks almost identical to their opto-kill switch except it does not have a battery lead. Instead it is just in-line between the rx and ignition and has the same functionality with the added feature of isolating the rx bus, and by extention, servos from ignition noise.

TimP

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
this is the Booma RC version.

It would be GREAT as a set up on a 30cc with

1 redundant flag and 2 1450mah LIFE for your RX
and 1 redundant flag and 2 1450 for your IG
You could probably get away with less on the ig. Maybe 2 700 or somewhere around there. Maybe we'll look into getting these

On the noise issue, I'm not sure if Booma did add isolation or not. anyone know for sure? If so we'll update it
thanks!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
You would have to have a separate lead for ignition that is separate from the lead/leads going to the rx with the isolation between the ignition lead and the rest of the system. That is why you sell power distribution boxes which I love love love :)

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
As the description does not make any statements about having any kind of noise isolation built into it for ignition I'd say it depends on how you get power to your ignition. If you are using a standard opto-kill switch that is designed to hook directly to a battery you should NOT have it in the same battery circuit with your rx regardless of what kind of switch or battery balancing tech you are using. An IBEC that supplies power to the ignition directly from the rx bus has interference elimination circuitry built into it and is safe in this situation. I am using an RCEXL IBEC that looks almost identical to their opto-kill switch except it does not have a battery lead. Instead it is just in-line between the rx and ignition and has the same functionality with the added feature of isolating the rx bus, and by extention, servos from ignition noise.

I like this idea. I could essentially make a redundant Rx setup with this, and add an RCEXEL Optio Kill Switch w/IBEC to get rid of the extra battery just for the IGN. It seems to me that a redundant LiPo setup for HV makes more sense than a redundant A123 due to their know reliability under vibration for a single engine gasser IMO.

I could not find this on redwingrc, or RCXEL themselves! ha!
http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/rcexl-opto-gas-kill-switch-with-bec.html

Could someone explain to me how the switch actually works? magnetic or mechanical or?

Would these switches be better or more reliable than lets say a toggle or slider switch?