• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Series Adaptor/Arming Plug Setup

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Hey guys, I am wondering about using my arming plug in conjunction with a series adaptor. I will be running two 4s batteries in series to create 8s. This will be running into a Caste Ice 100.

-- Would it be best to put the arming plug between the series adaptor and the ESC or could I put it between one of the batteries and the series adaptor?

-- If it is Ok to put the arming plug between one of the batteries and the series adaptor does it matter what battery the arming plug is on?

I can't see how this would make too much of a difference, but I hate to fry something because of ignorance! Thanks in advance!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hey guys, I am wondering about using my arming plug in conjunction with a series adaptor. I will be running two 4s batteries in series to create 8s. This will be running into a Caste Ice 100.

-- Would it be best to put the arming plug between the series adaptor and the ESC or could I put it between one of the batteries and the series adaptor?

-- If it is Ok to put the arming plug between one of the batteries and the series adaptor does it matter what battery the arming plug is on?

I can't see how this would make too much of a difference, but I hate to fry something because of ignorance! Thanks in advance!

1- what is an "arming plug"
2- Why are you installing one?

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
http://www.rcaccessory.com/as1-p.aspx

So you can plug the battery in without the airplane turning on. You plug in the "arming plug", it completes the circuit and the plane turns on :)

"ArmSafe" makes a package of some sorts for it, I always see it in the Model Aviation magazine.

And I would put it between the ESC and the battery harness.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
because it is in series, nothing should turn on until both batteries are plugged in as you wont have a complete circuit. to be honest, i would put it between the harness and esc just to be on the safe side, unless there is a big installation advantage to physical layout and/or ease of mount and plugging in and unplugging.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
Personally, I've never used a switch on my electric planes, just a throttle cut on my transmitter :)

i had to put one on my electric 104 because the way it was wired it tried to arm on 6s instead of 12s. i added an arming plug so i could plug all 4 packs in then plug the arming switch, allowing the esc to arm on 12s. also it is nice to be able to have the servos powered up for either programming or checking to make sure the rx is working and such while the motor is killed so it is safe to work on

gyro

GSN Contributor
i had to put one on my electric 104 because the way it was wired it tried to arm on 6s instead of 12s. i added an arming plug so i could plug all 4 packs in then plug the arming switch, allowing the esc to arm on 12s. also it is nice to be able to have the servos powered up for either programming or checking to make sure the rx is working and such while the motor is killed so it is safe to work on

My throttle kill on the Tx does the same thing, and I use a series adapter in between my batts and my ESC.
Now, if I was running 4 batts on 12s, I'm sure I'd be looking into it also!

econpatric

70cc twin V2
My throttle kill on the Tx does the same thing, and I use a series adapter in between my batts and my ESC.
Now, if I was running 4 batts on 12s, I'm sure I'd be looking into it also!

Gary point taken. You have a DX8 right? Does the JR9503 have the throttle kill option? I don't remember seeing it. (anyone know how to get this feature to work on a 9503?)

Ultimately I was thinking that with this much power having a separate switch might be a good thing, but I see the point of more possible problems due to extra connections.