• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Servos for 3DHS 59" AJ Slick

econpatric

70cc twin V2
I am wondering about servos for my slick. I have previously been over on RCG's and checked out the pages and pages of build threads, so I know that a person has a few choices. Being a huge Hitec guy, my question is in regards to the Hitec options.

I feel like after reading many posts the consensus is that the HS7245 is the only way to go, and that the 5245 and 225s are garbage. There seems to be an agreement that the latter two are having all kinds of issues. Alternatively, some folks claim to get good use out of the 5245 and 225's, but my fear is that if I put these in I run a great risk of servo failure. I don't mind spending the extra money if it's a legit issue, but I'm also not currently able to put a servo through its paces like my hero Joe Smith :pompom:.

So the questions are: Are these cheaper Hitec servos as terrible as they seem or is this a bunch o' :bull:? I mean no ill intentions here, but why would 3DHS recommend and design their planes to use these if they are causing so many issues?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Ok... to answer your questions:

No, the less expensive Hitecs (HS-225MG and HS-5245MG) are not terrible. I'm building my new 58" Edge with the HS-5245s, and honestly, I doubt that many users can even tell the difference! Also, I think you're right, 3DHS wouldn't recommend the wrong products for their airplanes. That said, there are very skilled pilots out there, who do things with and to their airplanes that only 1% of users can do. These pilots accelerate the normal wear and tear on their electronics quite a bit, and for them, these servos may not be, or have been, sufficient to handle their abuse. Again, we're talking about 1% here...

So... did the original design of the HS-225MG and HS-5245MG there was a weakness identified in the alignment pin retention hole, where the hole would get elongated after some use, and some users made up temporary fixes for a while. The newer models of these servos added more plastic to the area, and the problems were solved for the most part.

The new HS-7245MH is a brand new design and doesn't share any of the issues above. I have these servos installed all the way around on my 64" MXS, and I run them at 7v. Super fast, very strong!

So, I hope this answers your question. If not, you can take your question to Hitec, as they're joining the site as a sponsor as I type this! :) :) :)

-G

Last edited by a moderator:

quadracer

100cc
One new (on elevator), the other 3 are a couple years old. They were on a plane I bought used early this spring.