• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Shizznit Happened

rcbobp

70cc twin V2
Well, even experienced people do dumb things. We were having a training demo day at our field as part of the AMA day today. Fired up my RCM trainer with OS 60 engine. Usually I reach over the prop to take off the glow igniter, but to show good safety practice I went from the back of the plane. Must have forgot how close the prop was to the crankcase. Well, you can guess what happened...almost lost the top 1/4 inch of my index finger. I'll save everyone and not post the pictures. Surgeon said he lost count of the number of stitches.

D'OHHHH!

Mikeq

150cc
rcbobp;5935 wrote: Well, even experienced people do dumb things. We were having a training demo day at our field as part of the AMA day today. Fired up my RCM trainer with OS 60 engine. Usually I reach over the prop to take off the glow igniter, but to show good safety practice I went from the back of the plane. Must have forgot how close the prop was to the crankcase. Well, you can guess what happened...almost lost the top 1/4 inch of my index finger. I'll save everyone and not post the pictures. Surgeon said he lost count of the number of stitches.

D'OHHHH!

OUCH!!!!!! made a few trips to the ER myself but I've always been able to count the stitches...I guess you'll have to use your social finger for typing while convalescing. Just be glad it wasn't your thumb::upset:

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Did that in the mid 80's with a .60 size plane... Stitches in every finger on the right hand and my thumb is a little short... Only takes a second ... Hope u heal up quick

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I flew glow for my first two years of flying....having seen a few accidents since I cringe just looking at some people removing a glow ignitor.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Really sorry to hear that. I saw that happen to a guy at our field last year. Chopped up his thumb, index and middle finger. Not pretty. Really sad thing was, about a month later just as he was almost back to normal, he had an accident at work and lost his pinky finger.:(

mac26r

50cc
Hope you heal soon! This really says something about having a routine and stcking too it egery time.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
rcbobp;5935 wrote: Well, even experienced people do dumb things. We were having a training demo day at our field as part of the AMA day today. Fired up my RCM trainer with OS 60 engine. Usually I reach over the prop to take off the glow igniter, but to show good safety practice I went from the back of the plane. Must have forgot how close the prop was to the crankcase. Well, you can guess what happened...almost lost the top 1/4 inch of my index finger. I'll save everyone and not post the pictures. Surgeon said he lost count of the number of stitches.

D'OHHHH!

Dang it man....I am sorry this happened to you. I do hope you mend quickly. I have been very fortunate. Up until the last two years, I have flown at least some form of "nitro" motor. And for nearly twenty years, I felt safe...but very cautious. Over a year ago, I watched a member at our field nearly lose a complete arm due to an "electric". This hit me really hard.... With our bigger and more powerful motors and much larger props, it is soooo easy to have an "oops" minute. Can't say I, or anyone is exempt even running any form of power, even gas...but at least it eliminates some of the danger. Thank you for sharing this and helping us all to remain attentive. Get well.....

Terryscustom;6023 wrote: I flew glow for my first two years of flying....having seen a few accidents since I cringe just looking at some people removing a glow ignitor.

I know, right?! lol!

Hope you get all healed up okay!