• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

SHOCKWAVE — The ultimate unlimited Reno air racer

GSNadmin

Staff member
Designed by longtime MAN contributor Mark Rittinger, the Shockwave Reno racer is another unusual addition to his electric powered racer series. The man behind the full-size Shockwave effort was Darryl Greenamyer, who needs no introduction in the aviation world, considering his speed records in a privately owned F-104 Star Fighter and attempted 1995 rescue of the B-29 “Kee Bird” from Greenland. The project uses a Hawker Sea Fury wing with a new center section, an F-86 Sabre Jet tail with full-flying horizontal stabilizer, and a T-2 Buckeye landing gear. Add a giant 28-cylinder 5,000hp R4360 radial engine and the Shockwave was born!

Intrigued by its Gee Bee-ish shape (because of all the fuel tanks in the fuselage) and its odd collection of parts, I just couldn’t resist designing my own electric version. I figured if I kept it hand launched, and under 45-inch span, it would be light and affordable to fit out. Working with compound curved planked fuselages with elliptical wings and full-flying tails makes this model not suitable for beginners; some building experience is required.

SPECIFICATIONS

• Model: Shockwave
  • Type: Reno Racer
  • Wingspan: 42.75 in.
  • Length: 44.75 in.
  • Wing area: 404 sq. in.
  • RTF weight: 62 oz.
  • Wing loading: 22.25 oz./sq. ft.
  • Radio req’d: 3- to 4-channel (speed control, aileron, elevator, rudder optional)

MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS PREMIUM members can access this article and many others highlighting amazing techniques, RC airplane builds and projects. When you become a member, you’ll get instant online access to our back-issue archives, the latest Model Airplane News Digital Editions, all of our newsstand-only special issues, and much more.

Membership includes exclusive access to our enormous collection of RC information.

• 7+ years of digital editions of Model Airplane News
  • Flight Journal and Model Airplane News special issue digital editions, previously only available on newsstands
  • Free access to our magazine app through the iTunes Store – get Model Airplane News on your mobile or tablet device
  • Aerobatic flight technique video lessons for plane & helicopter pilots
  • Contests & giveaways only for members
  • 30 years of Model Airplane News archives
  • 10 years of Electric Flight archives
  • 5% off ALL Air Age Store purchases every time you shop

http://www.airagestore.com/membersh...f-exclusive-member-access-for-only-24-95.html

Model Airplane News - The #1 resource for RC plane and helicopter enthusiasts featuring news, videos, product releases and tech tips.

Continue reading...