• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Static and Monokote

-Rick-

100cc
Anyone come up with a way to reduce the static charge when peeling the backing from a piece of Monokote?

I'm working on some covering for my Slick, I peeled the backing from one piece and stood and watched some sawdust travel about 4 feet across my bench and stick to the covering! At first I got a good chuckle out of that and then I started swearing!!! Piece went into the trash, I couldn't remove the dust. Ya, I cleaned the area on the bench first but I guess I missed a few spots!

I tried rubbing it down with a fabric softener sheet, no luck. Those damn things are so hard it wanted to scratch the covering. Wonder if you tape a wire to the covering and ground the sucker?!

I know, just be careful and live with it... and do a better job cleaning the bench, floor etc.....

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Maybe try a light dusting with Static Guard?
image.jpg

poprlite

50cc
How about one of those grounding bands like the computer technicians wear? Next thing you can try is raising the humidity in the room. Probably not gonna get rid of all the static though.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Anyone come up with a way to reduce the static charge when peeling the backing from a piece of Monokote?

I'm working on some covering for my Slick, I peeled the backing from one piece and stood and watched some sawdust travel about 4 feet across my bench and stick to the covering! At first I got a good chuckle out of that and then I started swearing!!! Piece went into the trash, I couldn't remove the dust. Ya, I cleaned the area on the bench first but I guess I missed a few spots!

I tried rubbing it down with a fabric softener sheet, no luck. Those damn things are so hard it wanted to scratch the covering. Wonder if you tape a wire to the covering and ground the sucker?!

I know, just be careful and live with it... and do a better job cleaning the bench, floor etc.....
"CLEAN" tack cloth. Once the backing is removed, if you get any foreign material that finds its way to the adhesive side of the covering.... gently rub your clean tack cloth on the adhesive side of the covering and the transferred foreign material will be sucked up by the tack cloth. As long as the covering has not been warmed usually I find everything will come off on the tack cloth and you're good to go. I use the tack cloth on my project also. Gets any foreign material off the wood. I've also used a lightly alcohol dampened "terrycloth" to suck up any dust particles on my airframes before I lay down the covering.