• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 12/14/12 school shooting

gyro

GSN Contributor
First, I think I can speak for the entirety of the staff here as we all have multiple children; Our hearts and prayers are going out to those affected. I can't imagine not being able to come home to my girls anymore...

Along those lines, I wanted to share this quote that is supposedly from Morgan Freeman, but that is unconfirmed:

“You want to know why {these shootings keep happening}. This may sound cynical, but here’s why.It’s because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he’ll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN’s article says that if the body count “holds upâ€, this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer’s face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer’s identity? None that I’ve seen yet. Because they don’t sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you’ve just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next."

I'm so tired of turning the news on and hearing about all the bad stuff going on in this world. Maybe, just maybe, the news will get the hint:

Stop making it glamorous to hurt people.

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

i have to totally agree with you, my friend. the mainstream media is just instagating more crazed lunatics and extremist to one up the last tragedy.

we actually got so tired of mainstream news and media that we took out our satellite tv about a year ago, and havent looked back. probably the best thing ive done for my family in a long time.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
So sad...........I can't even imagine the loss those families must feel.

Unfortunately there is no easy solution.