• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Forgotten Extra, The Extra 230

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Sleepy's new thread today about your favorite aerobatic airplane made me give some thought to one of my favorites from the past, the Extra 230. I imagine that the reason it's one of my favorites is because the first gas aerobatic airplane I ever flew was an Ace 30% Extra 230. It was built by a friend of mine, Tony, and I did the painting. By today's standards it would be a total turd, but 20ish years ago it was very cool. Powered by a Sachs 3.2 we were in awe of the power...... like I said it was a long time ago.;)

I don't really have any good reason why I started this thread other than to stir up thought in a forgotten plane that helped start the whole Extra family. Younger guys in this hobby may have never seen one.

Extra230Small2.JPG
Extra230Small.JPG

SleepyC

150cc
I love me some forgotten planes. The Panzel, Stadaucher, the One Design, Dr-109, Extra 230.. ALL pretty darn cool. Heck the Giles was awesome!

Love the Velox. When I get a couple projects done, I'm gonna have @Flyrcjoe help me scratch one out and hopefully make a full composite, just like momma. The Wolff's live here in Utah. Charlie is building one and I have flown with David (pretty sure the blue and white hot wings plane is his), but not in his Velox. I think he is nervous about having to wash it out after. They have a bulldog that is a really neat plane, side by side stick and rudder, full aerobatic trainer.

95BJ1_20080130.jpg

funflyr

50cc
The Jim Van Loo (R/C Extra's) design was a great plane. Jim still leaves in Kansas City, I work with his son. Jim is in the AMA Hall of Fame.
Troy