• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Tyler's from New Hampshire and he's seen below with his Aeroworks 91" Extra 260 Freestyle with a DA-60 and RA-2 pipes. He's sponsored by Aeroworks, Horizon Hobby, and Desert Aircraft and is currently flying Unlimited IMAC and Freestyle as well as doing demo flights at events around the country.

IMG_0109.JPG

Last edited:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Tyler can also ROCK his Aeroworks 120cc Edge!!!!!!!!!! He was the IMAC Advanced World Champion in 2014. On top of his flying skills he's an outstanding young man! Just graduated high school and has a great future ahead of him, whatever direction he chooses.

BTW - He also placed 2nd at the Worlds in Freestyle. I had the honor of standing with him during his second flight.....and I must say, seeing a 120cc plane doing that stuff so close to you is a bit unnerving (for an Old Guy). I figure if he was going to move then I wasn't either :eek:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Tyler can also ROCK his Aeroworks 120cc Edge!!!!!!!!!! He was the IMAC Advanced World Champion in 2014. On top of his flying skills he's an outstanding young man! Just graduated high school and has a great future ahead of him, whatever direction he chooses.

BTW - He also placed 2nd at the Worlds in Freestyle. I had the honor of standing with him during his second flight.....and I must say, seeing a 120cc plane doing that stuff so close to you is a bit unnerving (for an Old Guy). I figure if he was going to move then I wasn't either :eek:

I asked him about school and he said he's headed to college in September and hoping to study Computer Science. His dad Scott mentioned a scholarship from AMA but I didn't get the details, maybe someone with the info can post it.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Tyler's #6 in the press release below. Congrats!

AMA Hits $1 Million Scholarship Milestone
Posted on May 17, 2016 in Awards and Scholarships | Comments Off on AMA Hits $1 Million Scholarship Milestone

Scholarships-250-186x186.jpg

The Academy of Model Aeronautics has been helping graduating seniors achieve their dreams since 1970, and is now celebrating its dream of reaching a total of $1 million in awarded scholarships.

The AMA is happy to announce that this year’s $48,000 in scholarships awarded to 10 high school graduates from across the nation has helped bring the total of AMA scholarships that have been given to college-bound aeromodelers to $1 million. The scholarships are created through fundsdonated by model aviation organizations and individuals, AMA members, and a portion of AMA member dues.

Award designations are set by the AMA Scholarship Committee, which is made up of model aviation pilots and enthusiasts. The committee evaluates each application and ranks it based on GPA, community involvement, model flying experience, and in the case of scholarships, model flying competition.

AMA and the AMA Foundation want to thank each family that has contributed to the memorial scholarships, as well as the hundreds of other donors to the scholarship program. Without their generous contributions, these gifts would not be possible.

AMA would like to congratulate the following students who have been selected this year to receive the Charles Hampson Grant Scholarship and others:

1) Austin Williams—$7,000 + $1,000 from the Weak Signals club = $8,000

2) Thomas Kessler—$6,000 + $500 from the Weak Signals club = $6,500

3) Drew Meyerhardt—$5,500 + $500 from the Weak Signals club = $6,000

4) Evan Wilde—$5,000

5) Caleb Gomez—$4,500

6) Tyler McCormack—$4,000 + the Cliff Telford Memorial Scholarship ($5,000) + Ryan M. Sherrow Memorial Scholarship ($500) = $9,500

7) Cale Miller—$3,500

8) Jonathan Garber—$2,500

9) Connor Barnes—$2,000

10) Patric Hruswicki—$500 Basil and Dorothy Cooper Memorial Scholarship

+1,000 on all said above and a heartfelt congrats to Tyler and family. We value our friendship with the McCormacks very much. You won't find more dedicated and helpful people in the hobby. Great to see the AMA recognize Tyler's talent and intellect.

Reactions: tl3

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
image.jpeg
I'll be flying with Tyler tomorrow as we maiden an Extra he built up for me. I have been very fortunate to have re entered the hobby to be mentored by Cody Wojcik- (Tyler's instructor and mentor, be looking for a post on Cody who is a IMAC World Freestyle Champ and sponsored pilot) and then meeting Tyler. I've been a first hand witness and recipient of the way these top performing pilots give back to the hobby. They pay it forward and encourage and motivate others to do the same. It's a pleasure to know them all. I'll echo the fact that Tyler and the whole McCormack family really support this hobby and we all appreciate it. BTW, Steven, Tyler's younger brother is an outstanding pilot (he's also a darn good fisherman!). It was great to be present when Tyler was congratulated and notified of the extent of his scholarship by Dist 1 VP Andy Argenio. Tyler, Ashleigh and Cody were all giving of time and talent at a recent Aviation Appreciation Day for a Scout troop at Plum Island Airport RC Club in MA when Andy shared the news. Thanks again for the day! Another example of their pay back and pay forward attitude.
I hope to continue to learn from Tyler and the other sponsored pilots I have the good fortune to know and fly with.
See more about the appreciation day here:
https://www.facebook.com/Plumislandrcflyers/posts/1685551898372806

Thanks to all and see you tomorrow Ty ✈️
Daren Hudson
AMA Dist 1 AVP
Plum Island Airport RC Club
Fremont Flyers

Last edited: