• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Unbiased answer?

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
I am a week away from buying an engine for my 36% Pau edge and am looking at buying the DA 120 for it. My question is......wait for it.......... Does the DA 120 shake worse than the dle 120. I would prefer that this question does not turn into a weiner contest like it would on the other forum. I just want to know if this is going to be a problem or is it just until break in or is this plane going to shake like Wile e coyote after he ate the acme earthquake pills?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok I'm unbiased since I have multiples of both engines. Yes it shakes more, but with a strong airplane it is not as bad. My PAU edge was not bad at all with the DA120. The power is addictive so you can't go wrong. The DLE would also haul it around great but not quite the same kind of power. So I say depends on your style. If you want high energy crazy power go DA and if good power low and slow is your game the DLE may suffice. I wouldn't chose based on vibes for that particular plane.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
Ok I'm unbiased since I have multiples of both engines. Yes it shakes more, but with a strong airplane it is not as bad. My PAU edge was not bad at all with the DA120. The power is addictive so you can't go wrong. The DLE would also haul it around great but not quite the same kind of power. So I say depends on your style. If you want high energy crazy power go DA and if good power low and slow is your game the DLE may suffice. I wouldn't chose based on vibes for that particular plane.
I actually was hoping you would chime in. I was going to pm you and ask what you thought. Thats good to know, thanks. I think that pretty much answers my question.

The DA 120 that I have flown now for a little over 8 hrs real engine time doesn't shake any more that other engines that I have seen or had! Of course, I always use Mejzlik props which are balanced very well from the factory! I have balanced the prop with the spinner backplate and I could not really tell any difference between not balancing the backplate and without when running the engine.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Terry's having the "experience" of operating multiple engine's on multiple air frames gives for excellent advice. IMHO the DA 120 shakes no more than a DLE 111 once it is above 2000 RPM. The DA ignition advance and Rcexl advance are similar but the timing built in to the crankshaft of the DA IMHO is "advanced" a little more than the DLE's. This makes for a "hard hitter" engine.

The point I am getting at is.....The DA 120 shakes more at "low" idle than a DLE 111. I have operated both. Have not had the opportunity to operate a DLE 120 or EME 120 like Terry has. I can tell you I very much enjoy the power and acceleration the DA provides with big props. Not to mention almost 65 lbs thrust. The DLE 111 is very powerful too. But it does not "respond" like the DA. Terry explained it very well.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Exactly what Dimes said, I always say that the DA has the "bottom end grunt" but the DLE and DA are nearly the same on the top end once they have 12-15 flights on them.

The EME120 is close to the DLE120, but much closer to the DLE111 for performance and that's after bowman ring upgrades. I do not have bowmans in either of my DLE120's and they are building nice compression.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Interesting discussion. I'm going to be in the market for a 120 later this summer so It's all good info. Terry, how would you compare the power of the DLE 120 to the old DA100 (non L) or even the DLE 111?